Click here if you are having website access problems ×

When to refresh

wild bill

My Seven has now done 30 odd thousand miles about 10 of which have been on the upgrade from 1.8 SS to a vhpd head TB's and emerald producing 188 bhp which is quite enough for me FTTB.

The gearbox has been refreshed recently and whilst out i fitted a lightweight flywheel and new clutch. Car now goes very nicely.

I have an apollo tank no dry sump, i've done 4 track days and change oil very regularly (every 1500 - 2000 miles or so or after a trackday)

Servicing is regular too

Is it worth a refresh over the winter or do i keep going until a problem manifests itself and if so what's a refresh likely to cost and is there anywhere within a shout of bath who could do it? Any thought welcome

If the engine is running well ie not using loads of oil and displaying abnormally low oil pressure I would count my blessings and leave well alone. You are also running hydraulic cam followers so no maintenance required there. IMO you are a bit keen changing your oil at 1500-2000miles but that won`t hurt the engine either.

The secret in making your K last is always warm up the engine gently before giving it revs, keep an eye on temps and coolant and oil levels and you will be surprised how long it will last.

Rob

Rob

Thanks, i know oil changes are more frequent than necessary but £30 isn't horrendous and as you say it won't hurt. O/P seems fine running between 25 and 30 psi on hot running and it doesn't use oil. It's always been warmed up before high revving and i'm not a trackday nut and i don't tend to thrash it anyway. The only reason for the question was a case of better a refresh than a new engine (although im always ready for that duratec upgrade excuse) but i'll continue as i am, as your advice has always been spot on.

I have to say this engine is really lovely and goes great. Hope all is well with you and yours

I'm having similar thoughts as I have 2 seasons of sprinting, track days and road use on the engine that Rob built up for me. After hearing stories of people having engines blow up shortly after having them re-built I've decide to take the RAF approach... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A new engine doesn't cost that much if it doesn't lunch anything too expensive. Say £1000 or less for a good donor VVC engine. So as long as my cams survive I could replace the engine if it goes bang for much the same money as a re-fresh.