Click here to contact our helpful office staff Γ—

Yay! Finally eliminated the MFRU from the starter circuit

Myles

'bout bleedin' time!

Β 

The 'bypass relay' (actually still triggered by the MFRU) was causing more trouble than good - so I've eliminated the MFRU relay entirely and now drive a standard relay direct from the starter button. That'll sort my click-of-doom out...

Β 

πŸ™†πŸ» πŸ™†πŸ» πŸ™†πŸ» πŸ™†πŸ» πŸ™†πŸ»

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosseβ„’

Β 

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

S'wot I've done from the standard ign switch. Brought a new, fused, feed into the spare relay position in the Caterham fuse/relay panel, new wire back out to the starter solenoid, and new wire from the "start" terminal on the ign switch. New earth too, obviously, for the relay.

Β 

Twice for the click of doom in 7 years was too many times . . .

Β 

Bri

I took the power for the relay straight from the main starter connection - no need for a fuse. The relay sits near the battery (used to be zipped to the MFRU) and earths straight to the battery negative (last bodge before I sussed where some of the problems were coming from.

Β 

The whole car is covered in spaghetti now though - a rewire has been on the cards for a winter project for the last few years - just haven't had the time or place to sort it.

Β 

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosseβ„’

Β 

Ought to add that it's (nearly) always been a wiring problem recently for the starter - the proof has been that touching the solenoid wire to the battery (usually) gives a really vigorous turn-over. I've had a few chugs under hot conditions (bit of a worry - overheated battery? Brise on the blink?) but a push-start has always solved that one.

Β 

But yeah, my advice these days would be *not* to follow the instructions on my site for the relay-'bypass' and to dive straight in and fit a dedicated 30-Amp relay.

Β 

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosseβ„’

Β 

I did this during my rebuild a couple of years back. Out of the 4 relays in the MFRU only the Injector & the fuel pump relays are still operational. Some day I intend to rewire the engine loom etc & rationalise everything. The MFRU will go to be replaced with individual relays.

my advice these days would be *not* to follow the instructions on my site

Β 

Now he tells me 😬 Wonder how long this fix will work *rolleyes*

Β 

Done the relay mod (worked for a bit - click), cleaned the solonoid (click),

put in a new relay + new solonoid wire (click), new battery/FIA switch cables (click).

Haven't done the "deburr the copper fork" thingy yet.

Β 

It ALWAYS starts when I dab the solonoid cable on the battery +ve, but it seems

a bit brutal. Surely the solonoid doesn't need that much current, and I might damage it. Putting a HUGE relay directly connected to the battery/starter + associated battery lead spaghetti would probably work, but I'm not convinced the solonoid would like it long term.

Β 

Forgive my numptiness, but isn't the problem that the relay clicks, its just that not enough current/volts/whatever is getting to the solonoid when it does. Or was your relay not working at all, and you are solving a different problem?

Β 

Also, FIA switches seem to get blamed alot for this - which part of the switch should I be looking at/replacing?

Β 

(I got the click at Castle Combe on Monday, and was going to bore Peter C who happened to be there - but I think he was having alot more fun playing with a Radical!)

Β 

AB

Β 

Β 

It ALWAYS starts when I dab the solonoid cable on the battery +ve, but it seems

a bit brutal. Surely the solonoid doesn't need that much current, and I might damage it. Putting a HUGE relay directly connected to the battery/starter + associated battery lead spaghetti would probably work, but I'm not convinced the solonoid would like it long term.

Β 

It’s no more brutal than how it is already connected. The only difference is you are removing a bunch of contacts and (more importantly) a fuse. The solenoid will only pull the its rated current (unless it is faulty), the shorter the path to it the better. I can’t get my head around just how poor the Rover electrics are.

Β 

Every contact/connection in the signal wire is a potential loss, check all the contacts to see if there is any corrosion/pitting as this reduce the current getting to the starter. I currently have a click which I am going to fix by wiring a relay direct.

Β