Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live axle Cage

elie boone

• 3 weeks later...

Elie,

Did you see the Japanese car in this months low flying that had an FIA bar modified into a cage - looked really neat and would be OK from a personal safety perspective / track days but probably no good for sprinting.

Looks like they had had a forward hoop made up(like the normal cage) then added brackets to take a detachable fore/aft bar on each side effectively running ajacent to the tops of the doors.

Regards

Ian

Chris, the cages do look the same but I recently compared mine to that of a fellow seveners de dion cage and the differences are subtle but would take a bit of work to alter.

The rear hoop has the obvious difference of flange mount for the live axle, the de dion cage would need shortening up before welding the flanges on because it's designed to fit into the chassis.

I seem to remember the real difference is the rear struts into the boot, on a live axle cage I think they mount lower in the boot so necessitating lengthening on a de dion cage but then the angle from the top of the cage down into the boot is wrong so they'd need re-positioning. It would probably be as quick to cut them off and make new ones! Not impossible but then not straight forward either.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...