Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Broken gearbox casing

Mathew Rimmer

After replacing all the gaskets and still having a sizeable leak, am 99% sure that I have a cracked gearbox case on my BGH E7 HD 5 speed box. Being based in Switzerland impacts my options to get this fixed a little costwise. I have narrowed down the choice to replacing the case with a Quaife alloy one (have yet to confirm the the BGH internals fit OK) or purchasing a second hand 6 speed one

My car is a 190hp K series with 3.92 diff used mostly for sprinting and trakdays but some roadwork also. My gear ratio range is 2.75 to .86.

thoughts....

1) Quaife - looking through bchat there still seems to be some cracking issues even with this case. Cost approx £500 incl lid. No idea what sort of labour time is involved in transposing the internals.

2) 6 speed - concern about provenance of secondhand box. Doubts about whether 6th gear direct ratio and 3.92 diff are an appropriate combination. Lack of knowledge about why the 6 speed box is stronger (is it ?)

Any comments / advice gratefully received.

there is a s/h 6 speed on ebay currently, closiig on 31st. Anyone know anything about that ? What would an appropriate price be ?

A 2nd hand 6 speed of known provenace is worth £1200 - £1300 . Prices have fallen a bit recently as more have come onto the market with the race series box changes.

A 6 speed with a 3.92 is great on track or on B roads. Definitely not a "touring" option in my view. My HPC with a 3.92 and 6 speed becomes rather tiresome on long trips or motorway travel.

With a 3.62 diff you hit the 8k RPM mark at some 135 mph if you run 205/55/13 CR500s

This leaves the top speed for an R400 (K series) to be 125 mph with a 3.92 diff which I would say is to low for any road use. Not because I use Vmax a lot, just to be able to live with the car.

I cracked a few type 9 cases and in desperation went for the quaiffe alloy box with alloy lid. As it is a lot softer and less strong than cast iron I would not have been suprised to see it fail quickly. I am pleased to say that it has shrugged off all I have thrown at it for years (and I seem to be hard on gearboxes)!

Have a similar spec car to yours which I also use for Sprinting and Hill Climbing from what I know of Swiss Hillclimbs V Max is never the #1 objective - go for the Caterham 6 Speed - I did with the 3.9 and have never looked back....but agree with other comments its hard work on long motorway cruising but this is not where you should be running a Caterham

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk

Should also add - if you are running as a road car and you source a previous racing 6 speed then you will most likely need to add speedo drive shaft - not a big task infact takes 15 minutes and could take most bits from your old Type 9 - you just need a few seals. Best you know so you can order the bits in advance.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk