Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Making a roll bar mounted wheel carrier

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Having borrowed one for an event, I would like to get a wheel carrier made along the lines of those that have been built in previous batches.

Would anyone have the Stauff part number for the clamps that were used?

I have seen these posted on another link and wondered if they would be suitable. They would certainly make it quicker and easier to fit the carrier to the rollbar - something which I found quite time consuming with the Stauff clamps. Is 100kg SWL likely to be OK for carrying 4 wheels (plus the weight of the carrier)?

If anyone has a drawing with dimensions that they would be willing to share with me I would be grateful.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Just a cautionary point . . . I noticed in the small print of my insurance something along the lines it's invalid (ie no liability to others) if the car driven is overloaded, in an unsafe condition or outside the manufacturers specifications . . .and I'm not sure 4 wheels carried high up, quite a long way back really fits the manufacturers spec, or isn't overloaded or safe . . .

Been a little discussion amongst classic trials drivers along similar lines due to their desire to carry weight as far back as possible for traction on slippery hills.

Bri

Shaun,

Backing plate needed for the 32 or 38mm clamps is an SP5 WM 2 weld plate. I think that their part number is 1120001171. (For anything larger than 38mm you need the SP6 weld plate)

The 38mm clamp,in green polypropylene is a 538PP (part # 1130006026 I think)

The 32mm clamp,is 532PP (part # 1130005953)

I would not bother with the DP5 Cover plates (used with hex head bolts for fastening the clamps to the weld plates), but would use the socket headed bolts instead (M6x50) which I think is part # 1130003974

They're helpful people, happy to use the 538PP description as opposed to their catalogue number. Phone number is 0114 2 518 518

Dave.

U Can blatmail me for more info if you need it.

Ed to add - looking at the Atom clamps, they might be a good alternative.Would need to make sure that they don't mark the powder coating though.

Edited by - DaveMorris on 26 Aug 2008 22:31:58

• Support Team

Dave - thanks that is just the information I need.

I like the idea of the Atom clamps but as you say they could mark the powder coat.

Cheers,

Shaun

Bri - I've driven the car with one of these fitted and a set of wheels/tyres on. They don't affect the handling hugely but I wouldn't be driving at the limit with it fitted anyway.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing