Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

5 speed gearbox with oil filler on the top - is this unusual?

vipdesilva

Hello all

Been thinking about transmission whines recently - my car creates a whine under power that drowns out the exhaust. This makes me think is it more likely coming from the gearbox than the diff. So I want to check the gearbox oil level.

Searching the posts here however, I see that most people seem to have a gearbox with the filler on the drivers side of the casing. Mine however had a orange filler cap on the top surface - I did not need the famous cut down allen key - is this unusual? How would I know if I have too much oil in the box with this arrangement?

Reading the posts I see that I also need to grease the propshaft UJs - sadly not mentioned in the build manual.

Thanks for any advice.

Vip

Thanks for any advice.

Build Pics: here

My BGH modified Type 9 has a custom top-plate with a dip-stick that could also be used to fill the box - maybe yours is similar. I'd probably still do it via the side-plug though as this gives a natural level.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Hi Vip,

It could be something someone has done afterwards perhaps. I must admit I've got no knowledge of an original gearbox filler like that, however from how you've described it, I think I've done exactly the same with my 6-speed box: see here

The benefit as you say, is that it makes the old, inaccessible side-filler redundant. Filling up from the engine bay is a doddle. The only downside is that I need to measure how much fluid I put in the box as the side-filler doubles up as a level.

I'd have thought it unlikely overfilling could be the cause of the whine you're experiencing. In terms of filling, I tend to drain mine hot in order to get as much fluid out as possible. Then I refill the stated capacity (I can't remember what this is offhand) This probably results in it being slightly overfilled, but not by much.

Good luck in tracking down the whine. Whether its occuring in one gear or all gears might be helpful in identifying a likely cuplrit.

Edited to add: Just checked the buld pics - obviously your gearbox is new so I guess must be as supplied by the gearbox manufacturer. Hopefully another Sigma owner can let us know what they've got.. *thumbup*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Edited by - k80rum on 25 Aug 2008 21:38:08

Thanks Darren

Whine seems to be rev related and certainly happens in 2-5. Not sure about first. Kicks in at about 2500 and gets louder. Worst noise is at about 4000 revs but then after that the exhaust and engine noise drown it out.

Not sure if I am fussing about something that all these cars do, but my wife was driving the car the other day and I was following in the tin top, and the whine was the predominant noise I could hear. Again from previous posts it seems that there is a lot of variation in transmission noise and that perhaps things can be done to reduce it.

Vip

Vip,

Mine is the same as yours. Like you, I filled my 'box via the orange 'filler cap'. However - I also left the 'side plug' out because that still seems the best way to assess the level (i.e. it starts to pour out of there when it is 'full'). I'll post some pics if you want to compare but they sound identical.

Steve

Mine however had a orange filler cap on the top surface - I did not need the famous cut down allen key - is this unusual? How would I know if I have too much oil in the box with this arrangement?

I suspect it's a breather rather than a filler (even though it will unscrew and allow oil to be put in). The old design with just a small hole as a breather would sometimes leak oil. I guess this is to address that problem.

No worries Vip. Out of interest, what gearbox fluid are you using? I would think it's unlikely there's a 'wrong' manual gearbox fluid you could use, but there may be a recommended type.

A straight-cut gearbox would seem significantly louder, but you would have had to be supplied one by mistake. I think it's very unlikely, but it is possible.

Everything seems to sound louder in sevens, but I don't think I'd expect to hear the transmission above the road and engine noise from a tintop. I'd recommend seeing whether you could get someone local from the BlatChat community to pop out for a spin with you and give their impression. If you're concerned enough to raise the question, it's definitely worth getting a second opinion, rather than running a risk that somethings not right. As a last resort, a trip to the factory or showroom could be worth it to have Caterham check it out for you.

Best of luck *wavey*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

A suggestion.

Fill the box from the top with the side level plug removed. When the correct level has been acheived, measure the oil starting depth through the top fill point with a dipstick and in future fill to that measurement. It avoids the tedious and messy job of removing the level plug. I do this with my Quaiffe dog box ...

Hi Vip,

I received my kit about the same time you did and don't remember seeing another filler hole before I fitted it into the car but I guess we have the same unit? My first drive... involved out of the drive turn round and back in again and it droned seriously in reverse, sounded like a moggy minor, thought it was quaint? I used the Caterham lubes for the first fill just to keep the warranty man happy. Going for PBC 01st Sept, I will ask them to take it up and down their drive and see what sort of noise it makes.

Hope its resolved.

Regards

Andy

Still se7ening in the garage

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am using the gearbox oil from the Caterham fill pack - I guess it is a rebranded Comma offering. The box looks just like all the pictures I've seen of a ford type 9 and while I also wondered if they could have sent me a straight cut by mistake, it seems pretty unlikely.

Steve - glad to hear that your recently built car also came with the same top surface filler/breather - I need to check if mine still has the side plug as well. Might get to take an angle grinder to an allen key after all - was quite disappointed that I missed that historical step in my build.

I guess the sensible thing is to take it around to the showroom - I am only a few miles away. Will sneak off work during the week and see what they say.

Thanks again

Vip

Looks like a different unit see here

My prop had a 'sticker' on it telling me to pack with grease, if it fell off then Comma do a CV Lith-Moly grease for a reasonable price at Wilko's(if you have them in Surrey) or you can pay full pops at Halfrauds.

Andy

Still se7ening in the garage

Hi Andy *wavey*

Been scouring gearbox pictures in the build diaries in my favourites lists - including yours. None of the pics I've seen have the same filler as mine. Halfrauds is on my way to work and they do a castrol LM so I guess I'll be visiting (again).

Saw the pics of your first drive - congrats *smile*

Vip

My BGH modified Type 9 has a custom top-plate with a dip-stick that could also be used to fill the box - maybe yours is similar. I'd probably still do it via the side-plug though as this gives a natural level.

Depends on what you are using the car for. The BGH dipstick has two marks. The upper for road use and the lower for track use (to prevent oil venting under extreme conditions). The lower mark is below the side filler hole. Also BGH will fit a bottom drain to the g/b, so making an oil change a really simple job.