Click here if you are having website access problems ×

sounds?

Red SLR

I tried going out with my walkman on. At tickover & full volume I could just hear it, as soon as I accelerated the only sweet music I could hear was my carbs & exhaust. Interestingly I also left the indicators on a couple of time, never done that before or since, so assume the earphones masked the clicking of the repeator.

Geoff

There was a recent article in the press (can't remember the paper) which draws conclusions over a drivers marital status, sex life, clothes and choice of music. In general, the conclusion was that Caterham owners are unmarried, living with their mothers, wear synthetic fibre catalogue sourced jumpers, and while the car has pulling power, the owner does not. This leaves music, with the catch-phrase of the Caterham owner being 'Listen to that exhaust note, that's all the music I need' - and now I find it's true!

Please tell me the rest isn't! I mean, my mother is on the other side of the world :-), I wear nice clothes (I think so, anyway), and I really like music. No comment on the sex life, though.....

Cheers!

JDoc.

I mean, come on, it's only a car, right?

And now the serious answer... from me? little ol'Me? Cor Blimey!

The speaker are behind the seats in the Aniversary Caterham (I believe). I too have thought about fitting a stereo to my Caterham. Not for when blasting around lanes, but for those moments when in traffic jams and the such. However, came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it as although you can a secure fit, attaching speakers to metal wont sound good. I got as far as where to fit my amps (have a huge system waiting to be fitted to something) and where to mount the unit, till I decided that metal would give crap accoustics. Plus there simply isn't room to fit the 10" cones (let alone the 12"). Now we all know that there's only one thing worse than no music and that's crap sounding music (I'm not getting into style, I'm talking sound quality). So now I just rev the engine whilst in traffic... it has the same effect.

idea.gif light bulbs worked for Charles Charley-Charles, do they work for me yet?

Edited by - moderate clam on 23 Aug 2000 16:17:03

When driving on Motorways / DCs with the hood up (I know, but sometimes you have to get somewhere and look presentable)I have used a none-skip CD player and headphones. This cuts out the annoying drone that comes with sitting at fixed revs. You can hear the music quite well but I wouldn't recommend Classical - you need something noisy. I suspect an MP3 player would be ideal- light, small and non-skip. Fit it with some velcro somewhere so you can press the buttons and get an extension to plug headphones into.

However it's more fun to just shift up and down the box, getting the little red light on and accelerating hard to get a nice noise!

Check out http://headroom.headphone.com/ProductsHeadphones for details of the Etymotic ER4S. These are ultra high quality in-ear 'phones that give 23dB of noise reduction too. When I've got the money I'll be getting some, possibly with the very-well-thought-of Airhead headphone amp.

I sometimes drive with a CD Walkman and it's ok, but on open roads you can't really hear anything but rock music. These should sort that problem, and be vastly better sounding than the crappy efforts that come free with the player.

On a more sober note (sic), lets not forget that the wearing of headphones while driving a motor vehicle is in breach of certain regulations of The Queens highways, and could lead to a "driving without due care and attention" endorsement. Engine noise is by far and away the best music a seven can maketeeth.gif

Headphones themselves do no represent the problem - my intercom has only been questioned once and the policeman asked if there was any music or was it just to talk to each other. THere is nothing in the highway code, nor 'construction and use' that prohibits ear defenders - just that they must not distract you. Strange that a car radio is acceptable though - as is a telephone (hands free).

Cheers,

Graham

I have spoken to Traffic Dept, they confirm that it is not an offence and wearing them whilst driving should not get you into trouble.

If you were to have an accident though it could give rise to prosicution, but it would have to be proved that using the earphones caused the accident.

Simon.

X777CAT

In the states, Pontiac built a two seater called a Fiero(midengine V6, but otherwise overweight and not too exciting). It used stereo speakers in the headrest. I thought a good idea for a 7. Probably not much bass, but should be hearable with sidescreens and not have to wear headphones!

I drove to down to Cornwall this weekend, setting off at 430am on Friday. Got to Cornwall and found that everyone in the house wanted to drive the car. Initially reluctant to let them it only took hearing the car disappear up a hill once to let everyone have a go.

I sometimes forget, sitting behind the wheel, what it sounds and looks like on the move.

Chlares

Wearing headphones won't cause an accident, but they could be construed as a contributing factor. If you escape prosecution (assuming they want to charge you), you could still be open to civil proceedings. It only needs one insurance company to get burned before there is more small print on our policy documents.

I stand corrected on my previous posting about the practise being illegal. However, I checked with the DOT who stated quite clearly that the wearing of walkman type devices is not advised, much the same as mobile phone usage, and this advice is contained in the Highway Code. The text also mentions loud music, reaching to change cassettes or cd's, and eating or drinking whilst on the move. Should you be caught doing any of these in a situation considered dangerous by a police officer, it would be a difficult charge to defend, and as I stated previously, a "driving without due care" endorsement would follow, should you be unfortunate enough to be convicted.