Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spherical lower wishbone joint

stevefoster

Can anyone explain how these come apart?

What procedure is best?

My build manual is sketchy on this simple but important part.

I have yet to tackle the replacement project.

Also. What replacement frequency are you (particularly the stickier tyre runners) having.

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Got the replacement part from Caterham.

£25 each plus vat plus postage.

It seems a very boring generic rose joint...

I will be typing the part number in and seeing what alternative suppliers pop up.

Full marks to Caterham for keeping ALL the parts I need in stock but I would not like to be ripped off.

I will find out.

Steve

hereid=red>

Whats a rip-off Steve if you get the correct part by return. Spares pricing in industry - what a minefield!

I have always been a bit concerned at how dry and unprotected the lower ball joint looks with salty water collecting in winter and dust in summer.

Well they look like a quality part but not £25+vat... But so they should be for the work they are doing.

I have not / do not regarded this joint as a weakness.

They look to be made of high grade corrosion resistant material as are most rose joints etc.

Steve

hereid=red>

Make:NMB

Type:ABWT-10

I got mine from RESB 08000 197372

Can't remember price though.

Make sure that the edges of the outer race are bevelled to avoid radius in corner of housing (I have had one type that was not)

Not done it yet.

The circlip is on the bottom. Apparently the bearing needs to be pressed out / in or drifted. This will be hard to do in place I think. At the moment I have a hard time of seeing how I can get the suspension at the correct angle to allow me to get a socket on the nyloc that bolts onto the upright inside the wishbone...

Spring and damper off as well I think...

Steve

hereid=red>

Now done both sides.

The procedure is

1. Remove wheel

2. Pop top link using a suitable splitter. The one I had did not fit when new. In fact I broke it and re-welded it together it now fits perfectly and the steel weld is much stronger than the cast iron it's made of.

3. Now you can angle the upright so the nut is central in the wishbone and you can get a socket on the nut.

4. Pop the top link together loosely as it will support the whole assembly as you faff with the bottom link.

5. Pull the bottom link out.

6. From underneath angle the centre of the joint so the circlip can be removed more easily (Get Phil to do all the under car jobs... it keeps him happy).

7. Hold the wheel assembly out of the way and tap the spherical bearing out. A suitable bolt with an extra nut is an ideal drift.

8. Pop the new joint or bearing in using a suitable sized socket as a drift a few taps and replace the circlip.

9. Refittment is the reverse procedure...

Thanks to Caterham (who said the bearing would need pressing out and in) I thought the bearing would be in tight and so removed entire wishbone on the first side. Not at all necessary and in fact, removing the lower damper to wishbone bolt stripped it thread, no matter how much penetrating oil I put on it... I also removed all the load off the bolt by unscrewing the spring adjusters all the way.

I now need a new 12.9 spec 2+3/4", 5/16" threaded bolt

with a 1/4" hex head. Cost about 50p but then with the £5 Caterham postal charge...

No way to get that bolt out with in good condition! Have others had this problem? I know Arnie had the bolt shear using rose jointed dampers though. Did that mean a new wishbone?

Mercifully the thread inside the wishbone is fine.

Still a good result and the old bearings were sloppy.

Steve

hereid=red>

I could not get a socket on the bottom nut until it was in line.

This I could not achieve even with that suspension arm under full load. It was not so much the angle of compression but that of the upright slanting from front to rear. This may only be the wide track if you can undo yours and you have normal track.

BTW How long do your joints (balls) last?

I've had mine 5 years of road and a fair bit of track work with grippy tyres.

Steve

hereid=red>

Edited by - stevefoster on 16 Jun 2002 09:01:23