Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil level checking K series with Apolo

finmac

Done a recent oil change and put approx the right literage in to the car, while at it I changed the OP sender as well.

Now finding it very hard to tell what the actual reading is on the blooming dipstick... it is defo wet all round at the bottom, then a wee bit patchy around the middle and wet again at the top. Also the Oil Pressure is now reading much higher. Not sure whether there is to much oil in it hence the higher OP reading or whether the old sender was bust...

Advice please!!

The amount of oil will not affect the pressure so suspect your old (or the new) sender.

Easiest way I found to check the level was to withdraw dipstick, press it against some kitchen towel then compare stain on the towel against dipstick marking

Mark

The most obvious symptom of overfilling is high oil temperatures, particularly cruising at 70. This is due to the crank thrashing about above the sump. When I have done this in the past, the easiest (if slow) way of losing oil is to remove the OP sender and let it dribble out from the Apollo.

It will get easier to read once the oil has 500 miles on it and it starts to darken.

I ended up taking 2 or 3 readings and as long as none of them came up dry, left it alone. The car drank very little oil anyway.

Steve

• Area Representative

Finmac

I find it best to check oil level when oilo is hot after a good run. Remove dip stick (with engine running) and clean the dipstick really well - do not leave any traces of oil, as this seems to help oil "migrate" up the dipstick. This should help give an accurate reading. As F355GTs suggests - if oil is too clear use a a clean white cloth or paper towel and press dipstick against it.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional