Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hi-Spec rear brake conversion.....Done!

The Polisher

I have just finished fitting the non-sva Hi-Spec handbrake calipers to my 2004 Roadsport and thought I would share my findings with anyone that may be interested in doing the same.

The calipers are superbly engineered and finished in black anodise....would look nice on the mantlepiece for a while before fitting. 😬 On close inspection, the only thing I did not like was the end float in the pad retaining pins due to the position of the 'R' clip holes. I re-drilled these to minimise the float.

When I first tried to fit one of the calipers the handbrake cable location piece prevented entry of the front fixing bolt as it partialy obscured the tapped hole. There was no way that a bolt more than 35mm long could be used and the bolts used are about 55mm long. *confused* After some deliberation I realised that the handbrake mechanisms may be able to exchange from one caliper to the other thus moving the cable holder up by around 25mm. A phone call to Hi-Spec confimed this and they were handed and fitted with a thinning down of the aluminium spacers from 7 to 5mm achieving alignment with the disc.

Picture of old and new calipers here and here.

I used the existing braided hoses except for the 45 degree elbows to the connections which were replaced with 90 degree ones as the ports on the new calipers face directly backwards rather than the inward and upward angle of the Sierra units.

To maintain the same handbrake cable projection as with the Sierra calipers I fitted 8mm aluminium spacers to the outer cable. The cable may have adjusted OK without this but I did not want to risk it. To bleed tha calipers I removed them, fitted 10mm packers between the pads and tipped them to put the bleed nipples at the top. I don't think they would bleed very well otherwise.

Pictures of the installation here and here and here.

I will now be able to check how the Mintex 1144 pads match up with the AP big front brakes on AP1142 pads.

For reference the Sierra caliper and pads weighs 7.2lbs and the Hi-Spec 3.5lbs 😬

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Edited by - The Polisher on 18 Aug 2008 14:54:32

Edited by - The Polisher on 18 Aug 2008 14:55:45

Edited by - The Polisher on 18 Aug 2008 15:03:10

Peter, the piston diameter is 38.6 mm. I dont know what size the Sierra piston is but maybe someone will be along who does.

Rob, I did get the Bellcrank and Drop link brackets made to my drawings which you are welcome to a copy of. The drop link bracket offers the drop link vertical to the ARB arm in order to prevent weld failure due to side loading.

The bellcrank is designed to fit 5/16"dia x 5/16unf rod end units instead of the oddball 1/4"dia x 5/16unf ones supplied by Caerham in order to give longer life. It swivels on 2 sealed ball bearings instead of the standard metalastic bush.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

Could I request a copy of the bellcrank and droplink drawings too if that's okay Dave? They seem nicely designed.. My email

Congratulations on the Hi-Spec calipers by the way they look great. I'd be interested to hear how the braking compares now and how well the handbrake works.

I'm finding my Wilwood ones are great but I keep needing to adjust the handbrake cable to keep it effective. I think it should be good enough for the MOT but will find out this week.

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Sorry Tom, I have only just spotted your comment. You are right, it looks filthy under there especialy on the photographs. I sprayed it all with Dinitrol black wax when I built it and am warry of removing it if I clean it. I think you have now just shamed me into it. 😳

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS

• 2 weeks later...