Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dont need this before Le Mans, ignition light on

John E

My ignition light is glowing faintly with headlamps and heater/heated screen or wipers switched on. Car is an X flow and I changed the alternator today for a new Lucas item rated at 35 amps. I realise that I'll not use the heater or the heated screen but wipers and lights together is a possibility. Any suggestions please as I leave for Le Mans on Wednesday.

Battery ?

What volts does it read with the engine off, or running, I could be wrong but I would expect arround 12 and 14v respectively.

Silly one but is the alternator belt tight?

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

For the same problem that I have now. Very dim ignition light glow under heavy load as above. The sparky bloke tested mine and reckoned that it was duff so I bought a new one. I've checked the fan belt and thats ok, checked the main earths from battery to engine and chassis to engine and they are all ok but there are some earths that are a pig to get at. Is it possible that there is some resistance in the charging circuit that could affect the output. I have a gel battery that is less than 12 months old and that never seems to take much of a charge even though its on top up most of the time. The battery has plenty of life so I think its in the charging circuit when its loaded. Failing any thing else I'll take the whole lot to the sparky who supplid the new kit and let him check it over.

John

When I bought an Alternator for my Landrover last year there was a warning in the box to check the connectors/ plug, if it was burnt it should be changed,

I'm no auto electricial but I couldn't see how the plug being burnt could make a difference so just fitted the new Alternator. It failed to work, I took it back and got another one but before fitting it, fitted a new plug, todate no problems.

maybe the burnt connector causes too much resistance?

Worth checking

Mark

John,

Did you see my "Alternator" thread a couple of days agoquestion.gif

After getting mucho advice (thanks all), It turned out to be a duff replacement from Halfrauds.

So...

Just 'cos it's new doesn't mean it's good.

Mark

Can you borrow a voltmeter?

My battery with the engine off showed 12.3ish across the terminals.

With the 1st new alternator it showed 12.3ish i.e sad.gif

With the 2nd new alternator it showed 13.9 ish i.e smile.gif

I've got one up in N. Yorks if its any help.

Mark

Thanks guys, been back to the supplier who has checked everything and the new piece of kit is working fine pusing out 14 when running. the solution is to go to 55 amps which I will do on the return. thanks for your help.