Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Titan's mirror

Pierre Gillet

Please tell us Mr Carmichael what is the brand/model of the (carbon?) side mirrors attached to the cage of your Seven as pictured in June Low Flying? The fixing seems to need only one bolt as compared with the SPA one which needs two.

Could they be fitted to standard stanchions?

Cheers

Pierre - the non carbon Racetech ones aren't much heavier, can be had with convex *glass* so the view behind is actually very good and cost about half the price (25ea IIRC).

I like cf but drew the line at these as function was way too diminished.

Best way of fitting them I've seen thus far is a little bracket that bolts over the door hinges and has a slight extension for the mirror fixing. Mine, however, are fitted to the stanchion (additional hole drilled between hinges).

Pierre, I'm using the SPA convex ones, you should be able to see them on the picture I send you a few weeks ago. If you want to try them out ... I might show up on the Euro Sevener thingy around SPA. For the road using only these is fine, on a track however I prefer using a 3rd mirror central on the shuttle.

Did you order your FIA bar + boot cover?

Pierre - I've just realised that I've actually got Racetech "Single Seater" mirrors on mine.

I believe they're a *lot* smaller and also less easily adjusted than the "Formula" ones (though the fitting to the stanchion would seem to be identical - single bolt). Look neat though and even with reduced glass area are still better than the Dumbo's ears Caterham door mounted ones (as they shake much less as much as anything).

If you want a picture of them on the car I can send you some later tonight.

I've got a couple of the carbon ones like PC but have... erm... adjusted them slightly. There is a little plastic ball-joint which I have removed on both of them, so if you fancy a bit of DIY fitting you can buy mine for a song. Make me an offer in the region of 30 grand and they're yours (or nearest offer). Email me direct.

I'm selling them because they were too small for me, and where I had them mounted (on the windscreen stanchions) I kept knocking them. They were something like 50 quid each, but I'll let them go for 30 quid the pair. Can photograph them as they are now if you like. I altered them to make them fit a different application. If you fit them like PC has, you don't need the ball joint anyway.

In fact I have already fitted the SPAs Formula one in black plastic here and I needed to drill one hole in the stanchion and used one of th existing windscreen screw hole. I was intrigued by the mirrors of PC which looked larger and need only one bolt and are carbon since I have now the wings protector in carbon and am investigating if one day I wanted to go for carbon.