Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Post re-skin, which holes to drill / cut before repaint?

jepo

Finally started to rebuild my R400 race chassis, as a road car. I took it apart 2 years ago and have only just found some time to get on with it…

The chassis has just come back from Bruce and is essentially brand new now.

Chassis stripped and powder re-coated, all new internal and external ally panels. Hand brake tunnel conversion, lowered floors, any bent rails straightened…

Can anyone offer any advice about which holes I should cut before it goes for painting?

I guess I should use my old rear arches as templates, and put some rivnuts in?

I need to cut a hole for the exhaust. Should I use my old side skin as a template? I may fit a Raceco or some other exhaust. Originally it had an R400 race exhaust.

I will fit my race cage and so guess I need to cut the front mount holes.

Also any advice on marking out and cutting the various holes would be great.

Is there anything else that I need to think about? Is it worth doing any of the rebuild before it goes for painting?

Cheers

Edited by - pj on 11 Aug 2008 11:40:35

• Area Representative

If it was me, I would go for a trial build with as much on as possible and then take it all off and send it for spraying. Things like the popper bases for the weather equipment are fiddly and you will have to keep re-fitting covers as you get the bases in the right location. For the sake of a few quid on rivets, I would get them all on and then drilled back off.

Likewise I would sort out the exhaust you intend to use to ensure the sideskin hole is as neat and small as possible.

HTH

Nick

-----

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

I would recommend the same as NC, get all your holes drilled before the paint goes on. That way you won't have the worry of the drill slipping or the Dremel sliding across the panel *cry*

If you scratch it now the paint can cover it up 😬

If you are considering changing your exhaust then it might be best to get that sorted first and cut the hole to suit.

I did the re-build thing last year but painted it first 🙆🏻 Even after using rolls of tape and card and bubble wrap I was still nervous every time I had to make a hole.

Thanks for all of the advice. It seems to make sense to get all holes cut before painting.

I don’t have that much faith in my Dremel skills

I’ll certainly install the engine and new exhaust to get that hole right first.

I’m really glad I kept the old skin now. I’ve just been going over it to see what holes are in it, as it’s been a while since it came apart.

There aren’t that many that Bruce hasn’t done, but the ones that haven’t been done look as if they might be tricky to do on the new skin.

I have to find a way to locate the mounting holes for the cage. There are two in the side skin and 2 in the scuttle on each side. The scuttle will be easy, but I’m not sure how to go about finding the ones in the side skin. Any ideas?

Same goes for finding the rear wheel arch mounting holes. I presume the rivnuts towards the front were into the chassis, but again can’t really remember. Any ideas how to locate them?

I think I'll take it to TSK as they seem to be highly rated on Blatchat. I presume Tony will be happy to take the car in a semi built state as long as it has no suspension / steering rack / cage / exhaust / screen / lights / poppers?

Poppers ! Completely forgot about them until Nick mentioned it. I've never had to fit them before as the R400 didn't have any and my Roadsport before that was built by Caterham. Might get Tony to fit them, if they’re a pain to fit.

Cheers

• Area Representative

Just occured to me to mention that whilst having the old skin is very useful to refer to, be a little careful if you are using it as a pattern.

One friend had a new rear panel fitted and then found the edge of the chassis tube he was using as a reference point was now slightly lower as a result of the peening when the new panel was fitted... as usual the measure twice / cut once maxim is best remembered!