Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HPC Battery relocation

Mike C

I've set aside a couple of hours at the weekend to start on my dry sump installation.

The first job is to relocate the battery in order to shorten the footwell for the oil tank location. If I retain the heater, the battery will need to be tucked away on the RHS in front of the driver footwell.

This seems to be the most common location for the battery but has anyone got any tips that will help me avoid disapointment, hassle or fixing problems?

Mike C

No longer K9 JPE

Mike, appreciate that there is a bit more work, but put mine in the boot to try and balance the weight of the car a little. It also keeps the battery out of the hot engine bay.

Your suggestion is perfect though if boot space is at a premium.

Regards

Anthony

Which tank are you using MIke? I used the tall thin one from SBD. This left just enough room to fit the battery down the bottom on the chassi rail between the sideskin and the tank. I made a little carrier for it, worked well.

Aves, looks like there should be just enough room and it's where a lot of the HPCs had their batteries (I think).

Gambo, I've just bought the Pace 6.5" tank, so will need to shorten the footwell.

Dave, do you have a VX HPC? If so, sounds like my banner battery should be OK down there. Does the standard battery tray just bolt onto the chassis rails or does it use a different tray?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I've a 2.0 VX on carbs (race chassis, dry sump, etc) and my Banner battery is in front of the drivers footwell under the carbs. Not a good place for maintenance and replacement as I have to take the carbs off to replace the battery. I can't remove the battery from below as I have a tray that prevents this (std part fixed to chassis?)

I've wired a remote charging point for the battery (cig. lighter type thing but narrower) so the only maintenance I need is to top it up now and again, which is a pain due to scratching hands to bit from the wire-locks on the underside of the carbs.

Suggest you make your own tray with strap to hold battery, which allows the battery to be removed from below.

Cheers,

Andy

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

My 90 spec De-Dion has the battery mounted infront of the drivers footwell. As I'm running a twincam and cannot therefore remove the inlet manifold as per Caterham's instructions 😬to allow access, I rivetted a plate between the side tube and engine bay lower tube and then bolted the standard tray to that. To get the battery out now I just have to disconnect the clutch cable at the gearbox, release the battery from the tray and then unbolt the tray.......and drop the whole lot onto the garage floor! *eek*.

I did try the battery in the boot but the extra weight proved too much for the thin ally flanges that the front board sits on *cry*

Brian.

Thanks all for the comments, the battery has successfully been relocated *thumbup*

On a VX, it's impossible to fit the battery from below, as the starter motor and engine brackets are in the way. So as Andy says, the carbs hace to be removed ☹️

Next job is to shorten the passenger footwell to make room for the oil tank *tongue*

Mike C

No longer K9 JPE