Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pagid pads going off

Paul Deslandes

Two years ago I fitted Pagid RS15 and RS14 pads front and rear respectively to my Vx 7 Big brakes on fronts, standard on rear. I skimmed the front and replaced the rear disks. For the first season of sprinting and hillclimbing they were great and everything printed about them was borne out.

Towards the end of last season, however, they started to go off. Initially I thought the system might need bleeding but this made no difference, even with a good firm pedal. I spoke to Performance Braking who suggested I de-glaze the disks and lightly abrade the pads. This slightly improved things but this season they have been horrible. They improve slightly when they're hot but there's not much opportunity to heat them up before a speed event and, anyway, they're not supposed to be like this. Even if I stand on the pedal I can't lock up the wheels or even get reasonable braking unless they're really hot.

Has anyone had similar problems and/or can offer a solution? These pads are very expensive and I'm reluctant to ditch them for something else unless they've really had it.

• Support Team

I gave up on RS15s as they just glazed over - deglazing with sandpaper helps but doesn't last long. I do over 5000 road miles a year and compete in the club speed championship. I think if you do a lot of trackdays or races then they are good but IMHO they just aren't suitable for road/sprint. Others will disagree and there are plenty of sprinters using RS15s.

I switched to RS14s on the front and RS4-2s on the rear which seems to be working well for me. The RS14s need to be warm (at least one brake application) before they work well - I just left foot brake whilst driving to the start line.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Opinions have obviously changed over the years! RS15 front and RS14 rear were being heralded as the linings of choice a couple of years ago. I guess we're all now finding out the limitations.

Dave, what kind of use are you using these Performance Friction pads for and where do you get yours from?

Anyone know where I can get some garnet paper?

Paul

Paul I used to run RS14's all round and never had any problems, I've now switched to RS15's on the front and RS14's on the rear and they seem OK so far but I've only done 3500 road miles at the moment.

I'm interested by yours and Shaun's experiences, I just hope this isn't something I experience but I won't know until the Curborough sprint this month.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Dave, what kind of use are you using these Performance Friction pads for and where do you get yours from?

My cars an allrounder so

races at combe

club trackdays

road trips

polishing on the driveway

got them from Demon tweeks - about £85 If I recall

good bite - better than rs14

good disk wear - better then ferrodos

good feel and modulatiion

not much dust on your face

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Rob

I don't do many road miles in my car although we did a 500 mile round trip in France last year plus three track days, so combined with a number of hills and sprints, they've had a good variety of use. The first season they were really excellent but deteriorated thereafter. I'm going to have another talk with John Frith at Performance Braking, as it was him that was recommending this combination a couple of years ago, to see if he thinks that anything can be done to improve what I've got before I move on.

An expensive learning experience it has to be said 🙆🏻

Paul