Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dodgy 7 on Pistonheads......

Martin S.

Dont touch it with a bargepole *eek* here

I've just spoken to Sovereign Car Sales who are selling the legitamete car at £13kish and it seems that someones cloned their add. Has been reported to Pistonheads.

Shame, I thought I was about to get a bargain 😔

Class 4 Zetec *cool*.....now with added sump protection 😬

I have been corresponding with the private seller (for the £6999 price) and was told that they are "starting a business and need the cash".

Wanted me to transfer money directly into their account and despite me asking for telephone numbers, nothing has been forthcoming.

All sounded dodgy so leave well alone!!

• Leadership Team

Similar story to the above. Have corresponded with the seller, and asked to view the car last night. As soon as I became serious about the purchase and asked difficult questions the contact has dried up.

Spoke to Sovereign but they were not that bothered - thought it might generate more interest in the car - said it would if they sold it for that price but no way I was prepared to pay the £12995 they want.

I asked to view and the reply I got is below. I'm stuggling to see where the sting is yet. I was expecting "Kat" to ask for a deposit at this stage *confused*

Martin,

I am glad to meet you and have you as my guest and we can schedule a meeting anytime you want.

Just one more thing in order for me to see that you are indeed interested and I'm not coming all the way for nothing I request the following step to be completed: you have to find a MoneyGram office and send the payment £6,995 to your name. I mean you have to take a person with you (wife, brother, friend etc....FOR EXAMPLE YOUR BEST FRIEND) who will send £6,995 (wich represent our agreed buy it now price) to you through MoneyGram. After you complete the transfer you have to send me a scaned copy of the receipt.

Be aware that you will not transfer me any money. You will be the only one who can pick up the money. In this way I will see also that you have the cash available, like I said the car is priced for a quick cash deal. As soon as you complete this step we'll meet, you see the car and if you will like it I will go with you to a MoenyGram office and you will pick-up the money that your friend wired and pay me in cash.

Let me know if we have a deal.

Thank you,

Kat

Or this from the Wikipedia entry on Moenygram:

"Another scam is that the criminal asks the buyer to send money to a friend or relative of the buyer as proof of good faith. The criminal will then send the item and when received, the buyer releases the funds. The problem is, even if the buyer designates a specific pick-up location for the funds (i.e. near the friend or relative), the money can in fact be picked up with fake ID anywhere in the world. In a variation of this scam, the good faith payment is made to a friend or relative to provide 'proof' of funds for an apartment the buyer is trying to rent from the criminal. The criminal will insist that the 'proof' be provided via MoneyGram and not any other method, such as a money order. The funds are then intercepted by the criminal."