Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

best spark plugs for a tuned k?

neil.cavanagh

Brent - that sounds like a mapping issue, probably around cold start. I've had 4 or 5 new maps on my Caterham, and a couple of them caused fouling problems, one of them major (i.e. swapping plugs just to get engine warm enough). Both were sorted eventually. Iridium plugs are expensive, the only real reason is to get mega service intervals I think. Which is hardly an issue on our cars...

Hmmm, could well be mapping as it only started doing it after the new engine was mapped back in March. Hotter plugs improved it but not completely so I read up on this issue and it seemed that Iridium plugs would give a cleaner burn with less tendency to foul up - allegedly. Anyhow, I bought some and they are, indeed, considerably better than the standard NGK's in this respect and haven't fouled yet.

My son has also tweaked the map a bit to even out the peaks and troughs in the graph and that also made the engine run more smoothly so maybe we just need to spend some more time on it and I can go back to the cheaper plugs! 😬

Usually a problem with the IACV (or less likely, the throttle pot, you'd know if it was that as the engine would run like a dog) - the ECU has a fallback mode where it winds the idle speed down until it almost stalls then turns up the wick again over and over (by controlling the injectors I suppose).

Edited by - Tony Whitley on 10 Aug 2008 11:46:32