Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Retaining channels for Winscreen/Aero

GPBox

Hi all, I have decided to fit the CC Retaining channels for the Windscreen support - so when I eventually buy an Aeroscreen, swapping between teh two is much easier than double jointed fingers...

a few questions......My car has the 'knee protectors' fitted, I assume I have to remove them completely by drilling out the rivets. Do I also have to remove rivets taht hold teh outerh skin to the frame ?. Looks like the Retaining channels need to slip between the skin and the frame (just by looking at picture on CC site)..is that the case ?

Finally how do the Retaining channels fix to the frame ?, looks like a couple fo bolt holes..are the holes already in the frame ?

thanks Graham

Hi Graham,

The captive nut retaining channels replace existing ones that don't have the plate with the nuts on - so its just a case of unbolting the old and on with the new. However, in my case, the captive nuts didn't quite line up with the holes in the bodywork - they were a bit lower, so I solved this by making a couple of shims out of 2mm ali and putting that below the retaining channels. There's more than enough stud sticking up to do that.

Yes you need to remove the knee protectors mine are fitted with black self-tappers which you might want to use when refitting just in case you want to get in there in the future. There shouldn't be anything else to remove.

Hope that helps,

Jonathan

Graham,

As Johnathan says it's a straight swop. You'll need to drill out the rivets that hold the knee protectors in place. The protectors then just lift out and you should refit them with self tappers.

The old channels can then be lifted out and the new ones with the captive nuts slot back in their place. They just sit in the gap between the skin and the frame - they are not secured - but as it is a snug fit it's no issue.

While you are doing this - and to be honest you may as well take the windscreen off as you'll have undone the retaining bolts anyway - you should take the opportunity to lengthen the wires for the heated screen. There's one wire at each side of the screen and if you lengthen them now before you reattach the knee protectors you'll save yourself a whole lot of faffing and skinned knuckles in the future.

Dave

• Support Team

The retaining channels should be secured - there should be 2 studs where they fit which pass through slots in the channel. 2 nuts then secure the channel in place.

At least that is how it works on my 1997 chassis.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing