Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1st oil change vauxhall engine

jonsharland

5w is better than 10w as it flowes smoothly and quickly at start up because it is purer and cleaner, it is a fully synthetic with a better additives package and better shear quality and more resiliant to burning leaving varnish type deposits on tappets and cams etc. This means less engine wear and less strain upon engine, starter motor, battery and wallet.

It is not thinner, just designed to flow quickly at low tempretures getting around to the top end faster and keeping its viscosity all the way through the tempreture range.

It seems that the plate only gives the make of oil that Caterham were selling at the time, mine gives shell as the recomended but nobody does Shell around my way apart from the Shell petrol stations who charge what they like, I am lucky as I sell oil and get a good deal on the one I use.

Vauxhall dealer local to me sells 5W/40 fully synthetic oil to SJ specification at around £45 for 25 litres including the vat, which is cheap!!! I think that it may originate from Millers?

I have no connection with the motor trade.

As AndyK said it is a good deal from Vauxhall and this should be repeated at any local motor factors in 20ltr and upward sizes and at a very good price, try your local Partco or Brown bros.

1700SS DD 1990