Fitting the H1 into a Seven.

Mickrick

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very Impressive *thumbup*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

There are two extra UJ's in the steering column, to miss the left hand cylinder bank. Not pretty, but shouldn't affect the way the car steers. Don't forget, this was a first fit, and the seven was a mule for testing the engine.

I think he did well to get that in an S3 chassis.

I recon it would be less of an issue in an SV chassis.

Anyone know how much further off center an SV steering column is, compared to an S3 ?

Holeshot racing, in Ireland, who are IMO Hayabusa gods, are assebling the engines using Hartley bottom ends. I don't know if the pricing on the website is up to date, but have a look here for pricing, and power outputs 🥰 they look like good bang per buck to me.

They do indeed look good value for money, if only I had £16K kicking around in the bottom of my sock drawer I'd be having one of those.

One of the best things about the motorbike engines IMHO is the sequential gearbox that they come with. What gearbox would you need to stick on the back of this? From the looks of things it certainly doesn't have room for the original!

Beautiful though!

The bottom end is a bespoke billet crankcase. Same as the RST, except the RST used Yamaha top ends, although I belive they are planning bestoke top ends for the RST, or maybe even have them already by now.

Only the top ends come from the Hayabusa engines for the H1. So no motorcycle gearbox. The H1 has mounting for a type 9 bellhousing. So you could fit the new heavy duty quaife, or Drenth sequential.

Dave, if you trawl through the pictures on the H1 website, you'll see it next to a Zetec, here it's nowhere near as tall. There are dimensions on there too. Ground clearance doesn't seem an issue. here It's tiny! (For a V8) and light! about 90 kilo's I think. *cool*

From what I can remember after spending hours on the site *redface* he's using a heavy duty H pattern type 9 box here . So you could use the new quaife, or a Drenth, as Drenth offer a type 9 bellhousing option.

Dave if it's anything like the RST then ground clearance isn't an issue, in Mike Biddles car the bottom of the engine is above the bottom chassis rail so the lowest thing is the gearbox. The advantages of being a V I guess.

Having said that the steering takes a pretty tortuous route on Mike's car but apparently it works very well.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Slightly off-topic as its not an H1, but just to encourage anyone who fancies something different, but can't justify the price of an H1 or RST...have a look at this Westfield

I know its not a Caterham, and that may offend a few of you, but that's a 3.0ltr V6 from a Vauxhall Omega in there. Rumor has it that once upon a time a Vaux V6 was sitting in a Caterham 21...

Well Mad Harry had a V8 rover in a Caterham complete with auto box and twin turbo's over the Clam wings. That was with a lot of body mods, met him on the swiss trip in err 1992 ?

Nice Bloke is he still a club member 🤔

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Hi Mickrick,

I wonder if we could have a chat sometime? I too have been thinking along the same lines of engine and could do with picking your brains!!!!

email me a contact number on easiclad@tiscali.co.uk or you can call on 00 44 13873 75777.

Many thanks

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

• Area Representative
Rumor has it that once upon a time a Vaux V6 was sitting in a Caterham 21...

Are you sure? Check with D21P; but there are, I think, two 21s with VX 2l engines. If there was any thought about a V6 it would most likely have been a KV6.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

• Area Representative

OpLock

See D21Ps post on Jack's thread in ChitChat - car V engines do not fit in the 21s bay (if you have not looked under the bonnet of one there are additional diagonal bracing bars.)

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

Ah-ha...but my information comes from an extremely reliable source. I read it in an ancient post by a gentleman by the name of Arnie Webb.

Dave21P says the Rover KV6 and the Rover V8 doesn't fit, correct...these are both 90deg Vs. The Vaux V6 is a 54deg V, so is much narrower. The Duratec 30 is a 60deg V.

Still, Dave knows alot more about 21s than I do, and I've no idea if they ever had a V6 in one or not.

If anyone has an 3.0 V6 S-Type jag and fancies getting me 3 measurements, please blatmail me.

Willie

if you have not looked under the bonnet of one there are additional diagonal bracing bars.

Yes - but they are higher up, and the additional strength they give would probably allow the normal upper diagonals to be removed. I still reckon a dry sumped Rover v8 with minimalist rocker covers and a small flywheel/bellhousing would fit without removing the diagonals - they're tiny.

Anyway, Rover v8s are old hat now . . . . the v8 Audi RS4 engine is a far better choice 🥰

RiF, mail came back *confused* Called earlier, no reply. You can call me tomorrow on my mobile, (0034) 629 644 285.

But I have to warn you, it's slim pickings! 😬

And as for the rest of you. Don't get putting this number in any Gay personal ads! 😳