Click here if you are having website access problems ×

pedal adjustment

Phil

Last night I took of the pedal box cover to see about moving the pedals forward as instructed a while ago by other members only to find they were as far forward as allowed anyway. The question is, is it possible to drill a hole futher back to increase the distance any further, has anybody done this or is it a stupid thing to do. The main reason for this is on long journeys my left leg sits in an awkward position and is very uncomfortable.

Thanks for any help or advice.

If you did, you'd need to weld/braze a new bush or sleeve into any new hole, of course. It may be difficult to gain sufficient access to drill a hole accurately 'square'. Also, you'd have to be sure there was space left to allow enough pedal travel. I thought about doing this once (earlier cars have less choice of positions to start with) but never bothered - changed the seat instead, although now I want the gear lever further back...

On long motorway drives I can put my left foot behind the clutch pedal to stretch my leg now and again. If you don't have room to wiggle your foot under, you could think about the competition ('high-effort') clutch pedal -77198- which is a bit shorter below the pivot (that's why it increases the effort needed) but I don't know if this would be an acceptable solution for you.

Edited by - tony pashley on 8 Jun 2002 18:31:18

Thaniks for the reply and I think I will have to leave it alone, I can do the same as you on long journeys but I am worried about needing my foot quickly but you have given me an idea about shortening the clutch pedal and I will go and look to see if it is possible.

Try driving without shoes on. Sounds funny but when you think about it why not? The big advantage is that you can move your left foot from under the clutch as quickly as you like. I've taken to wearing clog type shoes which I can step out of as I get in the car and put in the passenger foot well. The other tip which took me ages to cotton on to is move your steering wheel back as far as you can. If you have long legs like me this gives you increased room for your knees to move around and subsequently less problems with your feet.

I've been messing about with pedal positions myself this weekend.

Nick - To adjust the Steering wheel you will need to undo the clamp that hold the inner and outer columns of the steering column together. You can then just pull the steering wheel up to the desired possition and tighten the clamp up again.

Phil - To move your clutch pedal still further have you tried adjusting the cable that goes into the pedal box. This can give you a few more inches??

X77CAT

I agree with all of it. If I keep my left foot above the clutch then my leg brushes the wheel & after a while I get a worn out leg. I have tried racing boots, which do help, but by far the most comfortable is no shoes, although oddly enough it made me feel more vulnerable, also does not help heel & toeing. I have also taken the backing off the carpets, which does help.

I might remove the carpet alltogether, although I notice that I have small holes (not man made) in my floor...any idea's about that?

Geoff

J392PPD

VX & Flares how untrendy can I be?

Clogsthumbsup.gif

At any international bike racing meeting there's usually plenty of Dutch spectators who bring clogs strapped to the back of their bikes....

And we've always giggled at this little eccentricity in the past.

No longer though...

At the soaking Silverstone WSB round not only were the cunning cloggies stood 3" above the water with correspondingly dry feet, they were so tall we couldn't see past 'em.

MarK (I'll be the one in Sparco Clogs at Curbroughsmile.gif)