Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fluids & leg temperatures

Jon Crofts

On Monday I drove the 450 odd miles home from Nurburg back to Newbury, first hour through the windy B roads was as Top Gear would say 'mildly moist' as we darted through the villages of the Eifel region.

Once on the E routes a steady 80 mph was achieved, this was the first long run I've done in the car so not sure what to expect, I have a triple pass rad fitted.

Oil & Water temp sat at a constant 80 which only really crept to 85 when I did the odd burst at around 90 overtaking cars to keep up in convoy.

First question then. Does this seem abought right for an R300 1.8 K Series?

Second question then. My legs have melted off at the knees leaving a nasty puddle in the footwell, is there anything I can do to reduce temp or get some airflow into the footwells?

Ta

A mate of mine with an R300 keeps some carpet tiles which he has cut to size and slips down alongside the tunnel to give him some additional insulation when the car is to be used on a long and hot journey. He says it works well although I haven't sat in his car for any length of time to try it out myself.

I lined my footwell with garage door insulation material - 5mm thick foil lined on both sides with a plastic bubble layer between. Used alluminium tape to stick the cut sections to the tranny tunnel and foot box on the drivers side (duratec engine) I also stuck it to the bulkhead above the pedals and behind the dash. All cost about £8. And because its ally foil backed you cant realy see it from the outside as it looks like the bare ally panels.

In france on Le Sept it work brilliantly. At 30 deg air temps on 200 > 400 miles runs and on track my legs were as cool as a UK spring day at 12degrees air temp. My feet were very comfortable - still warm but very comfortable, in fact my Merc is probably warmer on the feet on a long run without any coll air blowing in.

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 1 Aug 2008 12:28:43

Worth checking there are no gaps in the firewall around the column / pedal box area as well. Mine wasn't factory built, mind, but there was a big old gap around the column. Getting it blanked off made a big difference - and is somewhat safer re: engine fires 😳

Bob Stark

Supersprinter