Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

lotus twin cam ,cam timing

terry b

To set the correct cam timing, you will need to know the cam profiles that you are using.

If you have this info and assuming that the profiles are well known, you should be able to get the timing figs from Kent Cams catatlogue. If your profiles are oddities, you will have to get this info elsewhere.

Bear in mind that official timing figs should be used as a guide only, especially with engines that have separate inlet and exhaust cams, because different combinations of profiles will affect the best timing figs. The only way to be certain is to do development work on a dyno.

Certain tools are needed to set timing - dial gauge, protractor, etc. You also need a means to adjust the timing - offset dowels would be my favourite for strength, lightness and cheapness, but not convenience.

Although it is not a very difficult task there is great scope for confusing yourself.

If you are using standard production profiles, you may be able to get away with simply lining up the original marks, but it is still worth checking the result

Terry, a thoroughly good book on the Lotus Twin Cam engine by Miles Wilkins, published in 1988, by Osprey Publishing Limited, 59 Grosvenor St, London, W1X 9DA, possibly out of print now, try some secondhand bookshops, the I.S.B.N 0-85045-676-2, worth every penny, but then I bought mine back in 1990, sorry won't part with it, but could send info if you let me know what the cams are that you have, e-mail if you want, glad to be of assistance, regards Nigel, in New Zealand.

For your SE cams (one groove) standard cam timing is- Inlet Valve opens 26 degreesBTDC, closes at 66 degreesABDC.

Exhaust valve opens at 66 degrees BBDC, closes at 26 degrees ATDC.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Life begins at 40(00rpm)