Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Suspension Improve on 1.6l K

Cat_man

I'm french and my seven is 1.6L K De dion 1999.

I would like to improve the suspensions of my caterham. for a road use and a little track-day from time to time

I thus think of changing the front anti-roll Bar and the suspensions Front and back.

which suspension have I to choose? (75526AW part number caterham)

Which Anti-roll Bar have I to take? the 5/8" diam I supose

Must I keep the standard springs of my caterham ??

Thank you

cat-man

1.6L Yellow Stripe 99

Cat_man

7 Power

Before I drive. Now I pilot

what do you mean by improve?

so that it lets you go faster on a track?

so that it rides more comfortably?

so that you can adjust things and find out what the adjustments do and how suspension works?

you can certainly by better shock absorbers, and if the are adjustable for all the various parameters will help in all the above catergories. but they'll cost 500 quid each for the 3 way adjustable ones.

I assume you want it to be faster on a track so you definitely want adjustable platforms and a proper set up (neatly sidestepping the question of exactly what a proper setup is).

I found that 300 lb springs on the front, the read (1/2"?) front ARB, 180 lb on the rear and a rear ARB.

OTOH I'm about to replace this with a different setup with adjustable front and rear ARBs and adjustable dampers....

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

You don't need to change very much on a standard 1999 car to get a very good compromise for road and track. I would however warn against thinking that buying a package of *parts* gives you a good handling car. The adjustment of the parts you have is just as important as the Seven chassis is sensitive to fine adjustments and rear ride height in particular has significant effects.

The major shortcoming of the standard suspension settings la excessive roll. I think you are right to fix this by looking at a different front anti-roll bar, but I would go further and suggest that you want to fix some of the problem with the front springs and some with the anti-rollbar. 250 lb/in front springs work well with a 5/8in anti roll bar. The rear springs are fine. A rear anti-roll bar is an option, but it doesn't need to be set very stiffly at all.

To get the best out of this, you might like to also think about getting the adjustable spring platforms and getting a flat floor setup done.

I didn't recognise the caterham part number you quoted - 75526AW, but I think I have described above all the bits you will need.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

The std suspension is good enough on road or track for most peoples needs in my opinion . I ran my car with completly std suspension for 3 years and had great sucess in sprint championships .

There is as always more than one way to skin a cat , and the decision to prop the suspension up on arb's or springs is a big discussion point .

I think the driver needs to identify the cars / drivers shortcommings first before he or she leaps into the maze of springs , ride heights , arbs , cambers , castors .

Simply changing settings inline with someone elses set up may not suit your own driving style .

You need to know what you are attempting to correct first .

dave

Edited by - Dave J on 10 Jun 2002 13:45:57

Charlie / John - How come the price on the Caterham web site is £275 for the adjustable platforms? Is this including fitting or something? I have been slightly put off by this price, but £140 is sounding much more palatable...

Dan.

Thank you still with all for your excellent answers...

I will direct myself towards a ARB of 5/8"and adj. platforms I find indeed that my seven with a little rolling and its behavior are fuzzy in the tight and fast turns.

Cat-man

Thank you still with all for your excellent answers...

I will direct myself towards a ARB of 5/8"and adj. platforms I find indeed that my seven with a little rolling and its behavior are fuzzy in the tight and fast turns.

Cat-man

Elie,

I have downloaded the Merlin catalogue and found the platforms you made reference to. Two points are intriguing me.

They are SPAX platforms. Question: do they fit Bilsteins?

They are "welded". Question: does it mean that the Caterham supplied ones' spec is higher (seamless?)

Cheers