Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Extracting front wheels bearings

Pierre Gillet

I plan to buy a FACOM bearing extractor. The first use will be the removal of the right hand side front wheel bearings.

There are two different size extractors offered by FACOM, one being for cars and the second (smaller) for small mechanical work such as electrical motors etc.. The capacity of the "for car" one starts at 14 mm.

Is it OK for the seven?

Cheers

Thanks guys. You just save me 200 euros!

And the dust cover ? How can it be pressed into place? A big rubber hammer too?

I am envisaging replacing the bearings because I must move the nut by only half a castellation to remove the play. Would a very thin washer under the nut allow to locate the nut at a full castellation (if you understand, what I mean !)?

Cheers

If they're tight with half a castellation then undo it that half a castellation and the free play you have will be fine. A tiny bit of free play is acceptable and desireable. Bit difficult to describe how much is too much on a keyboard though....

Alternatively are there two split pins holes thro the stub axle? There are on mine. They'll be at right angles and the unused one will be full of grease so not easy to see. With 4 split pin holes at 90 deg and 6 castellations at 60 deg there should be an easy match without undoing the nut a full castellation.

Thanks Chelspeed

In fact, one castellation cures perfectly the free play.The wheel seems to rotate freely.However , launching the wheel with the hand will give 4 revolutions before it stops, while if I undo the nut by one castellation it would do 8 revolutions. Is a 4 revolution rotation a "free" rotation?

I shall check the pin holes in the stub axle as you mentioned presently.

Cheers