Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superclutch/flywheel/starter etc for 2 litre Vx

Paul Deslandes

2 litre 16 valve Vx engine with pot type flywheel

Considering changing from lightened pot type flywheel to lightweight plus 7.5" twin plate superclutch. Will also need matching starter and hydraulic clutch release bearing to suit Type 9 box plus clutch master cylinder.

If anyone out there has a kit or at least some of the major (read "expensive") bits in reasonable, or at least refurbishable, condition and is interested in parting with them for sensible money please let me know.

Paul

Having refitted a cable clutch (because neither caterham's hydraulic system nor Superclutch's system proved reliable ..............) !

I may have a master cylinder available. I will look and let you know.

Roger

can the superclutch type units be operated with the standard cable release lever mechanism, albeit with a non-standard bearing? I've read posts on BC suggesting that the hydraulic release bearings are less than reliable and have never had any problems with the standard clutch cover and cable/lever arrangement. If so, I'll stick with the cable!

Paul

Thanks Mark.

It sounds as though cable is the way to stay. Thanks for the thought re the master cylinder Roger.

It occurred to me that Mark might have had some bits for sale, knowing how many engines he's had over the years 😬.

I may end up having to go 'new' from SBD unless anyone knows a cheaper source.

Paul

Paul,

Just to add another option on clutch operation. I ran my 7.5" Superclucth with a centric hydraulic slave cylinder in the bell housing. For the first 18 months it operated absolutely perfectly but when the car got it's rebuild after the 'manhole incident' I had the engine out 3 times trying to fix leaks *mad*, including replacing the slave cylinder.

I was loathed to go back to cable operated because of the number of cable breakages I had suffered in the past.

In the end I opted for an external hydraulic slave cylinder which 'pulls' rather than 'pushes'. It operates the standard fork with a Burton carrier and release bearing from SBD.

So far, so good - works like a dream *thumbup*

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - EO and Su77on Se7ener

Mark, Paul,

I will try to take some snaps this evening. Only problem is it's all under the induction.

I got the idea for this install from a certain Mr Webb, so thanks go to him for all the installation tips 😶‍🌫️.

Basically, I'm using the slave cylinder that was supplied with the VVC Caterhams. I got mine from Mick at Redline. You also need to make sure that you get the bit what screws on the end of the slave actuating rod that attaches to the clutch fork.

There is no 'fixing' as such involved. All you do is poke the cylinder through the little yellow bush 😳 in the bellhousing, attach the threaded bit what then attaches to the clutch fork, adjust it, bleed it and Robert is you mothers brother, as it were.

You will probably find that there is too much rod on the cylinder so I just spaced out the cylinder from the bellhousing using an aluminium spacer.

It all sound a bit Heath Robinson, but it really does work and is quite an elegant solution.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell - EO and Su77on Se7ener

Thanks Steve, I get the idea. I think I've managed to source a good second hand clutch, which is the lions share of the cost and, on Steve Broughton's advice, will probably go for the lightweight but full diameter flywheel with the slotted periphery. This saves having a new starter and apparently has slightly higher inertia than the smaller one which helps with drivability. It makes sense but I'd be interested in your experience with whichever flywheel you use.

Paul

ps I'm going to move this to TechTalk as it could go on for a while and be of wider interest.