Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Apollo tank drain plug and Oil Qs

GPBox

Hi all, as part of my 'big' oil change (and sump bolt fix), I thought I'd drain the Apollo too. But I've found the drain plug to be very difficult to loosen. Should the hex key simply unscrew ?....the large nut is not a locking nut right ?.

Do I really need to drain the last of the oil in the Apollo, or can I leave as is ?

finally, I dont know what sort of oil was in it last time, but I am going to use fully Synthetic, does it matter if the old oil (left in the Apollo) is not full Synch ?

thanks all *wavey*

Graham

use a large adjustanble on the 'big nut' on the apollo and then use the correct sump plug spanner and breaker bar.

You could alternatively tip the apollo up and let the oil drain back via the bottom hose. I find upto 3/4 litre held in the bottom of the apollo at oil change time.

you should already have a fully synth in there, but if there is a bit of the old oil left in, even if it's not fully synth, it'll probably be ok.

I can't see why we get so uptight about getting all the old oil out. We change the oil so frequently (well most of us do) that any left behind will be well diluted by fresh.

Apollo system takes circa 7.5 litres in total so if 0.75 litres left??????? so what!

Oh & by the way there is some left in the head & the block. Total strip to remove?

When I had an Apollo I found that most would drain out when the oil filter was removed. I never bothered with the drain plug as it had been overtightened (loctite?)from new.

On a similar thread a Porsche 993 takes about 11.5 litres to fill from empty but about 9.5 litres at each oil change. 2 litres is left in the block, heads & oil cooler system which can't be drained unless it's stripped. Go figure.