Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

hydrolic clutch

chambomg

Paul, when I bought that car I commented as to the clutch weight - I've been out and compared with my new one and I would say yours probably 10% heavier..

They're all fairly heavy compared to more advanced stuff, but I wonder is the cable badly routed/kinked/wearing?

Perhaps someone can suggest things to check.. I remember the pedal will squeak after a couple of months use - throughout it's life it's done this, and previous owners have just lube'd up 😬

I swopped my Hydraulic clutch to Cable operation, now it's nice and light. If your Cable clutch is heavy then I'd suggest you check the routing of the cable, and the condition of the cable itself.

A heavy hydraulic clutch can be cured by fitting a smaller bore master cylinder.

This changes the "gear ratio" between master cylinder and slave cylinder. I have quite a hefty clutch in my car but with a 14MM bore master cylinder the pedal is light as a feather with the added advantage that engagement is very progressive, and the car easy to drive in traffic.

Hi Paul, sorry I don't have any pics of the slave cylinder set up, but its a fairly standard concentric slave cylinder set up. (fits over the gearbox input shaft, mounts on the front of the gearbox and acts directly on the clutch)

If you have a cable clutch now and its a problem, suggest you first check the cable system out as suggested in posts to make sure it's functioning OK then if your still not happy with it then consider a hydraulic clutch.

You could probably fit an external slave cylinder to opertae the existing clutch arm, or go with a concentric system, but thats a much bigger and more costly approach, engine and box out etc.

I agree with Mike

The standard Caterham 70 cylinder or 0.7" with Caterham external slave was too harsh for me with my twin plate and I fitted the 0.625". Still curently I do not have a standard clutch as the pressure plates a lot heavier. The 0.625" gives more travel and a lot lighter but I would have thought the 0.7" with a standard Formula ford clutch would have been about the same.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Mike, I agree what you say but the Girling I changed was the master cyl. When I went from cable to hydraulic the pedal got lighter which meant excessive travel to fully disengage clutch.

A related question - at the back end of the external slave there is a screw and if you ehem should happen to unscrew this and tilt the cylinder some oil will drain. What's the oil doing back there? Lubricating the piston...? Should I refill straight away?