Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series front crank seal

Englishmaninwales

☹️ When it pops out at 7k rpm it certainly makes alot of smoke and a right mess *cry*

Blatchat searches suggest possible causes: damage/crack in oil pump seal housing, damaged seal lip, damaged crank shaft, thrashing before the oil fully hot, faulty oil pressure relief valve. I may have thrashed it abit too soon before the oil was fully hot 😳 The seal itself looks perfect.

Any other possible causes?

The set up is a 1400 supersport, dry sump. The engine has retained the standard venting system ie fresh filtered air from TB to cam cover and the other cam cover vent to plenum. The DS tower vented to catch tank. Could this possibly lead to engine pressurisation?

Need to be resolved before Loton Park next Saturday

Thanks

Malcolm

• Leadership Team

Tom had this happen in his old 1400 just ahead of us at Anglesey Circuit - certainly added to my car control problems 😳 Check with Tom but I think it was just a case of occasionally it happens?

Stu.

I dont recall finding a cause - the seal and housing looked OK, the car was well warmed up after driving to Anglesey then doing a session. I put it down to just one of those things. At the time when I spoke to DVA he said it was very unusual. Didnt do it again at Oulton or Curborough track days.

Tom, thanks *thumbup* DVA thinks one possibility is a poor quailty seal. He's come across some seals that have poor manufacturing tolerances (not necessarily for K engines). I fitted this seal last winter during an engine refresh and it came in an unfamiliar gasket set from my local motor factor.

You only get what you pay for 😳

Malcolm