Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine Problem

Mick Day

As some of you from Sussex/Surrey will know we had an engine problem in France & had to be recovered. As we were travelling with John Howe he very kindly offered to have the car at "The farm" for the repairs. On taking the head off we found we'd joined the: "My Engine's Ingested Something Club". *eek*

Not from the airbox or anything like that but 1 of the throttle butterfly screws had come out. *confused*

So gave Jenvey a ring & although the bodies are 8 years old they were full of apologies & will send a few in the post FOC.

Damage is very minimal, just slight surface dents to the piston & head. The bore is OK & it looks as though all 4 valves are undamaged.

So remember to check throttle butterfly screws for tightness along with any other fasteners in the airbox/filter.

Throttle butterfly screws on Weber DCOEs are "staked" or split at the end to peen them over and they can't fall out.

What is the retention method applied by Jenvey? Just doing them up tight is not really sufficient in such a critical application.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

When I rang Jenvey they said to use Loctite 243. However everyone else I've spoken to mention peening the metal over the screws. I'll be checking all of them before the engine is reassembled & probably every day after that!