Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What size lap straps on a harness?

CageyH

I am looking at replacing my 11 year old harnesses with either Sabelt or Willans Harnesses, both fitted with alloy adjusters.

What is the recommended size lap straps for the harness in a Caterham?

3" seems a bit big to me...

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• Area Representative

I'd go for the 3 inch shoulder AND lap straps.

2 inch lapstraps normally have wider padding anyway so why not go for the wider ones - they spread the load. When I used to use seatbelts in earnest, I got far fewer bruises with 3 inch straps compared to 2 inch.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Cagey

FIA requires 3" shoulder straps but 2" lap OK. I agree that having very wide belts down through and under the seats can be rather cluttered so 2" with 3" spreaders are more convenient.

I suggest you speak to Richard at Luke. Very obliging and can custom build belts to your requirements (including yellow, ahem!).

When I installed my lowered floors, they shortened my lower lap sections to suit to keep all the adjusters in same relative position to the tillets. Very reasonably priced when you deal direct with the manufacturer.

Cheers

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Dave,

Being in a position where you have seen Willans and Sabelt harnesses close up, which is more suited to a Caterham? I assume both will do the job, but I remember rreading you had Sabelts installed in your car? Any particular reason why?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I was only considering 2" Lap belts due to way existing Luke ones are a pain where they come through side of Tilletts and reckon 3" items would be even more so. Ease of adjustment according to clothing will be my main concern so I'd try Aluminium adjusters.

If I join in the fun (pennies pending) I'd go for 3" Shoulder (way more comfortable), 2" Lap (3" load spreaders over lap anyway), both with Alu Adjusters and V Crutch straps to keep me out of the footwell.

I must remember that I'm in public