Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Launch control

Jeff S

Idly sat in the office looking at the new R500 on the cc website while also filling in a lottery ticket... and wondered if the new "Launch control" option would be allowed for our championship!

I take it this is similar to traction control, and therefore may help being quicker off the line.. but would it help elsewhere... has anyone tried one yet *tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Jeff

• Support Team

Graham Ford is using launch control but that is class 6. I don't recall reading anything in the regulations that forbids its use in other classes. It isn't the same as traction control as it is only activated from standstill. As I understand it, LC works by limiting the revs to a predefined setting for a set period of time.

And when my numbers come up, yes I will be specifying it 😬.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

It is purely launch control on the new R500 which gives you a predefined rev limit/engine map for the launch which gives consistent 0-60 times. I believe it has several settings depending on the surface/tyre combination.

I'm sure it will help with consistency, a few friends of mine are competing in the Scottish Hill Climb championship and apparently full traction control is becoming more popular in that series. In the dry it's useful but not essential however in the wet it's a huge help.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Good point well made TM *thumbup*

Jeff, good luck with the lottery.

As for the legality of launch control in classes other than 6 I don't think it's come up before. Personally I'd ban it in classes 1-4 so that the skill of the driver remains the deciding factor. I guess you'd have to allow it in 5 so that the new R500 isn't excluded.

Adrian

Jeff - they say great minds and all that.

Following Mira I emailed Steve G to ask him if this was possible to do durring our remap for the Cat next year. *wavey*

Since I have a potentiometer telling me what gear I am in I can link it back to the MBE and speedo from the front wheel. This should be all the inputs needed.

As for traction control I don't want that 😬