Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald ECU

F355GTS

Erm... Emerald.

It is a serious piece of kit that can be mapped to handle any four cylinder engine's fuelling and ignition - it is most useful when you are contemplating wider upgrades in the engine department and you want the control side of things to keep up. The caveat is that it is only as good as its mapping, which costs a rolling road session unless you have an engine of a type that has been seen before. Oily keeps a library of maps, but the standard Supersport spec is prbably the least represented because most users shell out for a mapping session for their upgrades, not for their standard specs.

Emerald are (ahem) contactable on 020 7737 7114, or discuss your needs with Oilyhands because you have tiptoed onto the slippery slope of upgraditis and "while you are at it..."

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

I was assured in person by Mr Walker that they now have * someone answering the phone full time*

However there is only 4 foot and a brieze block wall between the rolling road and the ofice which does not help.

N

I'll second Peter's warning. I set out to make a minor (for me) change to my engine last Winter. I already had shelled out for an Emerald M3DKthumbsup.gif and a set of vernier cam pulleysthumbsup.gif and it had been mapped by Mr Walkerthumbsup.gif, so I knew that my engine was about as good as it could be given the current components. A very good friendthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif (probably needs little intro) agreed to fully port my VHPD head for me, which would cost me just a set of valves (I decided to replace all 16 in the end) and the cost of a mapping session once rebuilt.

I realised that there would be additional costs too, such as a new head gasket, inlet gasket, exhaust gasket, valve guide seals, cam ladder sealant, cam seals, cam belt, dry sump belt, alternator belt... are you getting the picture that I thought I would spend somewhere around 200 to 300 quid tops..question.gifquestion.gifquestion.gif

I'm now 2 grand further on, and have achieved what I originally aimed at but have been seriously influenced by the "While you're at it" factor. I don't regret any of the upgrades in the slightest and would once again like to thank my good friend for all the hard work he put into my head. I simply know that when I get my new cams I'll be looking on the far side of warp capability and I don't care about the money spent, because it's still WAAAAAAY cheaper than if I'd given it over to one of the "Tuning Industry" companies.

BUT, the problem is this... I kept a spreadsheet of all the things I bought for V7, just so I could present it to someone else wanting to go down the same route and even though this details every last spend and every time I saved some money (my friend manages to negotiate a better rate for things than I could), I am still at a loss to explain the difference between 300 and 2000 quid to my wife. Oops. blush.gif

Never mind. I just need to find the cash for those cams. I feel like a drug addict. smile.gif

Nig - showing the missus the spreadsheet was a school boy error! wink.gif

I do not tell sarah, although she was aghast recently to find out that trackdays cost over 150 quid rather than the 50 quid she had in mind. Not sure where she got that figure from blush.gif

rob

There's always another way to avoid explanations.

Also has the knock on benefits of halving food costs, avoding numerous trips to DIY and furniture shops and allows you to go out in whatever clothes you see fit at the time (all of which help pay for the upgrades). Opens up many other possibilities too.

I'll let you know if I find a down side.

Did I say I'd shown it to her???

No, no, no, no, I only kept it to try to work out myself what had gone on.... and then I told her how much it was. Weeeell, I had to. She does all the finances and we don't have individual accounts.