Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedferries France (delayed!)

Ian B

H7 JSC and C7 PKR, waiting for the delayed 8.50pm crossing, along with our group of four 7's ☹️

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

Hi Ian,

H7 JSC is mine. Did anyone find out why the delays are occurring as we were delayed an hour going out too. Each trip was taking 15-20 mins longer throughout the day so of course by night time it was hours!

Funnily enough whilst chatting to you at the docks they were loading my lane onto the ferry and so I held up the entire lot behind me 😳 *redface*. Might have been nice if they had announced they had begun boarding *mad*.

Trust you got home ok and a pleasure to meet you.

Dave

Our 5.10pm crossing was delayed by 2 hours yesterday. Each crossing is taking approx. 20-30mins longer so the delay builds up during the day.

Apparently there is a problem with the gearbox and they are only running on 3 (out of 4) engines. The problem is not new as our original outbound crossing on 3 July left 10 mins early because they knew the crossing times would be slower.

With only one ferry their downtime is minimal overnight. in fact we understand that the 11pm Dover crossing on Sunday night was cancelled as was the 7am one on Monday morning.

it'd a great cheap service when it works, but with only one ferry it really falls apart when there are problems ☹️

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

Hi Dave, Good to meet you, and sorry for keeping you chatting delaying the boarding of your lane! 😳

Shame we didn't know about the delays beforehand as we could have stayed another hour or so in the restaurant in the town (although the check-in booths close at 9pm anyway, so if youy're not checked-in before then you can't get in to the terminal, even if the ferry is late and hasn't docked yet! ☹️).

Have to say it's the first problem I can recall having with speedferries, although with only one boat there is always that risk (just glad they didn't cancel the last crossing of the day *eek*.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬 now repainted to match the Autocom headsets (and AA recovery truck 😳)

Aeroscreens, only just read your post - we were also supposed to be on that crossing back from the Le Mans Classic but we all decided to go to Calais to get an earlier crossing "on-spec" as two of the guys had to get back to Scotland that night. Sounds like they had a bit of a lucky escape as I don't think they would have particularly appreciated a two-hour delay! *eek*

As you say it's a great service when it works but (in IT-consultant-speak!) you simply can't get away without a failover if you want it to be reliable!