Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Last Factory Built R500 for sale

Simon C

Caterham R500, Registered in April 05 and is #90 which I believe to be the last factory built car ever made.

It is currently at Minister having a full engine rebuild and should be available in a coupe of weeks.

I purchased the car last year from a friend who owned it from new and this is my third 7. It has now covered 7,500 miles (4,000 of those in my care) with full service history and all documentation.

Yellow with usual high spec plus painted rear wings, bare carbon front wings and nose band, interchangable Carbon Aeroscreen, Battery Isolator, Full Weather Gear.

Only modifications are Freestyle flat floor set-up and uprated Pagid front and rear pads.

Thanks to the Freestyle set-up the car handles like a race car on the track but its not too comprimised for road use.

This is a thoroughly pampered and properly maintained car and an opportunity to purchase the very last one.

If you are quick, you could take delivery of the car fully refreshed without it having turned a wheel.

Looking for £29,950

Also available (but not until the car is sold and assuming the buyer isn't interested) - lightly used Brian James trailer with Tyre Rack and Box and 2 sets of 13" 8 spoke anthracite Caterham alloys with Wets and ACB10's

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys,

Car due back in a week or so and looking for a little advice. What level do you think I need to drop the price to, to get some serious interest?

Maybe people aren't in the market for £30k toys right now and wondering whether to get some use out of it this year and sell in the spring if I can't get reasonable money.

Cheers

Simon

The 3 other pistonheads adds range from £21,500 to £25,000. Caterham have 3 at £26,000 to £26,500.

You can get a new R400 for £30,000 (goes up to £36,600 if spec'ed like your R500)

You can get a new R500 for £37,000 (tad under £40,000 if spec'ed loke your R500)

So.....it's currently the most expensice R500 around by approx 15% - even if it is the newest and best. I'd say £27,500? But what do I know!

Ok, taking stock of your comments (some of you PM'd me) many thanks.

In a last ditch attempt to sell the car as fully refreshed before it's been driven, I have lowered the price to £27,995.

Any lower, and i will want to get some use out of it this year and then try to re-advertise it next spring when I can accept a bigger loss as I will (hoepfully) of had some use out of it.

It really is an exceptional and thoroughly pampered example.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

After some interest but no firm offers! I am trying to get into another car and would be interested to hear from serious buyers with offers - try me!

It has only done 400 miles since the rebuild and just about ready for it's first oil change.

Cheers

Simon

Hey Jon, it's a small world!!

I am hoping to get into a 996 GT3 mk1 as always wanted one and my father-in-law is rebuilding a Superlight DVA K series car which will be ready soon so will always have access to a 7 as we tend to do trackdays together.

I am hoping to replace the M Coupe with a CSL but off to Spa tomorrow so may well change my mind!

There is a particular GT3 I want on the market at the moment and would be willing to do a really good deal on my R500 for someone who's in a position to buy right now.

What are you up to Jon? I thought I saw your M Coupe up for sale also?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Ash,

It was £7,500 and everything was replaced except the block, rods and crank - I also had a full refresh.

Was not good news to be honest but I had anticipated that it would need a "standard" refresh in the winter and was expecting to spend circ £3k for that anyhow.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes got the MC up for sale, need to get a 2nd builder in to finish house project after 1st builder left us in a right mess *thumbdown*. Could cost more than i hoped originally....

So is that a GT3 and a CSL then?? You lucky man!

Good luck in selling both, would love to have that R500!!

Jon

Hi Jon,

Probably not both the CSL and GT3, depends which one is sold first.

If anyone has £25k cash for my car then please give me a ring - found an ideal car I want to buy.

In the current market, not really expecting to sell either.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Simon & Jon - you're both owners of MCs and Caterhams?

And there was me thinking I had a pretty unique pair of cars ... And Simon seems to be in Tonbridge too!!! What's the chance!

Anyway, horribly off topic - sorry 😳 Hope you have some luck finding a buyer.

Jez

Hi, yes have them both and now a CSL!

Missed out on the GT3 I wanted so the Caterham is £27k, which I think is fair give it is a fully refreshed 05 car.

If I can't sell it then I won't be too sad, drove it last night and the cold nights make it pop and bang even more :0)

Cheers

Simon