Click here if you are having website access problems ×

HELP - which starter motor with 4 in 1 exhaust?

Tonycaterham

My current starter motor has given up so looking for a replacement.

Just tried to fit the latest Brise motor (now comes without integral spacer) and after grinding away more of the block finally fitteed it to find the spade connector touches one of the down pipes when attached, so not suitable.

I've heard the Bosch one does not fit with a 4 into 1 is that correct?

Caterham no longer list the K series starter on their web site, so am i stuffed?

I need one for next week end!

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

My starter gave up too (5 years old).

I have a 4-1 exhaust too (R300).

I decided to go for the standard starter CC is selling (but obviously not available through their web site). Price is £95.

I "customized" a heat protection.

Edited by - Catastrada on 11 Jul 2008 07:42:20

Tony the bosh race started does fit where the magneton one fits, teh brise is as you say way too big, what about the new caterham concentric one (i.e solenoid is in line with the motor

you are welcome to try my bosh race one and see if it fits

Simon

Catastrada,

You are correct the Brise one did not fit with my exhaust as spade connecor was literally touching this exhaust. this was a little fustrating as I had spent somev time grinding more metal away on the block to alloy for the longer fitment.

Simon,

The general consensus is that the Bosch one will not fit with the 4 into 1 old type.

Peter has come up with a couple of possibles so looking at those next week.

The search continues.

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

• Support Team

The "Race Starter" is a Bosch unit and that didn't fit under my 4-1. I ended up fitting a 4-2-1 to overcome the problem (note early 4-2-1 doesn't fit either). I believe Angus used a hammer to "fettle" the primary so that it didn't foul the starter.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I think the case for not attempting to fit the bosch race starter is compelling.

I do not really want to go the the expense of changing the exhaust or bashing this one about as I have already manged to unintentially grind a few bits off the engine whilst trying to gind back one of the webs ( did not want to remove exhaust) to fit the brise unit. Suppose I've saved a few grams 😬,

Brise unit looked great and nice and light so shame it did not fit. Tim at Brise has been very helpful *thumbup*.

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Edited by - Tony7 on 11 Jul 2008 12:13:26

Edited by - Tony7 on 11 Jul 2008 12:14:40