Click here if you are having website access problems ×

don't shoot me: tyres again :)

akakubi

I have stock 15" CR500 (195) all around. I think I may keep them for the road use and perhaps just give them a thrashing on a track day or two just to see how they handle/wear. Naturally, I would want to get a dedicated set for the track and other speed-related activities. 😬

I've read most of the archives about the choices availalbe (and cool size calculators):

Option 1: Stay with the 15" and get some suitable rubber (maybe go staggered 185/205?)

Option 2: Get the Caterham 8-spoke 13". Now here is where it gets complicated with the choices of tyre and sizes: Fronts 175/55 or 175/60 or is there a 185/195 that would fit just as well to cut on understeer a bit?

Rears seem to be 205/215 on an 8".

Also, I am bit confused with rear fitment. Mine is a Duratec R400 - De-Dion, so do I need to shave off the ears to fit the 8" Caterham wheels?

Do I need to readjust the front suspension as well then? I like the way it feels now, so not sure if I want to spoil that at the moment.

Option 3 (an out "there" one): What's wrong with having a CSR setup? Not enough tyre choices? But would they fit or require extensive mods?

Cheers! *wavey*

• Support Team

13" usual combinations are as follows:

Avon CR500 - 175/55 front, 205/55 rear

Toyo R888 - 185/60 front, 205/60 rear

Yokohama A048R - 185/60 front, 205/60 rear

Kumho Ecsta V70A - 175/60 front, 215/50 rear (if you fit wide front wings you could go 215/50 front and 235/45 rear).

I think it unlikely you will need to shave anything off the de-dion as you almost certainly have the latest tube which doesn't need attacking with an angle grinder to fit the 8 spokes.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Edited by - Shaun_E on 9 Jul 2008 11:57:01

I've recently done the swop from the standard 15" CR500 set up to 13" Compomotive CXR's 6" front, 7" rears with the 185/60 & 205/60 profiles mentioned above.

It was a straight swop with no problems, front overall dia virtually the same with the rears lifting things ever so slightly ( 15mm from memory i think ), assuming you have adjustable platforms you can correct this easily.

Edited by - Simon Owen on 9 Jul 2008 15:06:55

Shaun,

Thanks for clarifying the tyres issue. I've been needing some specific info. on sizes and makes for some time and that of yours will do me nicely. Getting quotes for the more obscure makes, is hard work though!

Guys, sorry for bringing this up again. I am talking to Chris from Compotitive and we try to work out what offsets I need for front and rear for the 6"F and 7"R wheels. Do you guys know yours (mine is a new De-Dion SV if that makes any difference with stock 15" 195 CR500 rubber all around).

Suggested offset now:

6" for the front at ET23

7" for the rear at ET34

Thx *wavey*

Edited by - akakubi on 14 Jul 2008 14:26:20