Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

OT Nissan Xtrail problems

grumpy the 7th

Friend of mine has a 3 year old 4000 mile Diesel Nissan Xtrail which until a few months ago ran fine. He lives in Scotland and comes back to Sheffield a few times a year. The car drove normally all the way down to the end of the motorway where he encounted a long standing queue which just inched along for a good ten / fifteen minutes when the traffic cleared he accelerated and nothing happened *confused*. It rev'd up a bit but seemed to be in (get you home mode). He stopped for five minutes and tried again. All was fine for the next few days until he was stationary for five minutes and it wouldn't accelerate again until he'd stopped for five minutes. As he was in Sheffield staying with other friends he was advised to take it to his friends local friendly garage (turns out it's a 7 owners garage) he checked the fuel lines and filter and phoned Nissan who suggested changing the filter and fuel rail (£1200+vat at a dealer) so things were dismantled and blown clear and bolted back together again. This has not cured the problem and he can simulate it by leaving the engine idling for ten minutes. If however he idles it for ten minutes with the occasional blip of the throttle it runs normally when he accelerates away.

Any suggestions (other than blip the throttle when idling in traffic) on a postcard please.

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Edited by - roger heeley on 8 Jul 2008 20:32:21

I know of a number of people who've had diesel X-Trails. I had one & did 30,000 miles in just over 2 years.

Great tow car by the way.

However everyone I know has had engine problems. Mine did & needed a new turbo/intercooler. The intercooler was leaking oil again when I sold it. Where does the oil come from? Leaking seals in the turbo.

In fact everyone I know of (6?) needed new turbos & intercoolers!

It's a Renault engine. *nono*

This sums it up: here

I've got a Nissan x trail and it's done about 40000 miles or so now. I have also had turbo and intercooler problems at about 20000 miles . Had a new turbo and intercooler . Car was running fine and then went all whooshy and whirry ( that's a technical term by the way) . Limped home with no performance and no revs and Nissan had it in and repaced everything under warrenty. No problems since but when car went into last service ( I have it done at Nene Overland, Peterborough) they thought turbo was leaking oil so in it went to Nissan ( Sturgess, Leicester) who reported after a couple of days that it was fine and nothing was wrong with it. I have since run it for a further six months and it's been fine.

Mine is an 05 plate 2.5 dci and i know they have had this turbo/intercooler problem which i hope they have sorted.

Don't know if this is anything to do with your problem but they also mentioned they "recalibrated " the software which controls fuelling or something.

The car should be covered by warranty for 60000 miles or three years by the way i think and Nissan dealers are normally very good in my experence so far.

Cheers Neil