Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing nasty plastic oil catch tank

Doug

My 1995/6 Zetec converted X-Flow has a very nasty looking plastic oil catch tank, situated just above the battery, in front of the passenger footwell. I've been looking at various options for a replacement but nothing has grabbed me yet apart from a very expensive bespoke item. I found it at the Stoneleigh show last year and was an horizontal aluminium cylindrical tank, appx 14-16cm long and appx 8cm diameter with a bracket on the back allowing it to be screwed into place... but it cost a lot (for an oil catch tank).

Any suggestions for a more cost effective solution; I can't be the only person to detest the horrible plastic job?

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

I've still not seen anything easier to empty than the cheapo plastic one. Just yank the hose out and pour it away. As much as I'd like a nice shiny one, it looks a faff to remove hoses or get a big syringe out just to empty it, and they're usually bolted to the car which makes it harder still?

Please tell me I'm wrong because I'd like a new shiny one.

-----

VDU 7X Pics

More VDU 7X Pics

I take it then that the drinks bottle option has to be mounted vertically; to prevent the contents depositing itself all over the engine bay? The reason I mentioned connectors was that I'd envisaged mounting it horizontally and drilling the top to fit two connectors onto which the breather hoses would push. When it needs emptying it would just be a case of pulling the hoses off, unlatching the tank and pouring the contents away.