Click here if you are having website access problems ×

mixing tyres

slysee

More advise on tyres.

I do 8/ 10 track days a year so CR500 are expensive as they only last 3 track days at best.

I have been using Toyo 888 as they are cheap but they do not fit easily on the rear of my SLR as the rims are 8.5 and I can only get 205/60/13.

What do people think of Khumo's and what would people suggest for 6.5 front and 8.5 rear rims on my SLR?

Would it be okay to use 888 on front (185 or 205/60) and khumo rears (they do 175/60, 215/50 and 235/45)?

Obviously I would need to look at theride height and rake as changing tyre profile will change set up.

Thanks for the any help.

Allister

• Support Team

Allister - lots of the sprinters use Kumhos. We are using the soft compound for sprinting but a few people are using mediums for trackdays and like them.

175 fronts and 215 rears make a decent combination although you may need to dial out a bit of high speed understeer. Some people are running 215 front and 235 rear but you need wider front wings and wheels for that. I've currently got 175 front and 235 rear as I couldn't get 215 softs when I needed them.

Not sure that running Toyo front/Kumho rear would be good as the Kumho's have much stiffer side walls than the Toyos so the ride might feel a bit unbalanced.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing