Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where and how to start

Dickie Normuss

I've had a radical thought tonight about having a go at a sprint before the end of the year but need to know if it's feasible. The car's a 2L Vx with, I think, somewhere in the region of 170-180 BHP. Having had a brief read of the regs this would put me in class 4 yes? It has an FIA rollover bar. The tyres are Stuner Scudo's which are 205mm wide so come in under the 215 limit and the harness is 'in date'. Noise at track days has been tested between 94 and 96db. Now, the questions.

1)Do I need to use the petty strut with the FIA bar? I'm guessing yes as otherwise it wouldn't be FIA certified

2) Because I'm so tall, when I sit in the car with a helmet it's above the imaginary line from the top of the FIA bar and the nosecone, will this exclude me?

3)I don't have an FIA cut-off switch, is this a problem?

4)The helmet I use for aeroscreening is past it's FIA date so would be no good, correct? I also don't have any fire proof overalls, boots, gloves etc.

I'm looking for something else to add a spark to 7 ownership before I entertain any more ideas of selling it

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Hi Ric

Well if you want something to add spark then sprinting certainly is it.

I'll try and answer all your questions.

You do not need the petty strut. Some use it some don't. (I don't.)

Head height. Technically yes. However I suspect there are very few who would pass. some tricks. Place a spacer about 1" long under the front of the seats to lay the seat back. This helps alot. If a being observed you can slouch down in the seat. *eek*

FIA cut off is not required. But you need a sticker (which can be hand written) on the dash pointing down to the ignition keys "Ignition Off"

Sounds like you will need a new helmet (but let us have the details and we can check it out for you) and overalls. Gloves and boots are not required.

If you email me or Mark Durrant then we can arrange to send you some helpful intro information sheets.

You will also need an MSA National B Speed license prior to competing. Entry form for Curbs 2 is in the July Low Flying. Get it in soon. Probably the best place to begin. Lots of help and relaxed atmosphere.

You are correct about Class 4. Noise *thumbup*

I'm sure more guys will be along to offer advice soon. Where are you based. Maybe we can get someone local to "budy" you along.

Give me a call if you wish tomorrow. No. is in the front of LF.

• Area Representative
You will also need an MSA National B Speed license prior to competing

More accurately, the licence you'll need is a "Non-Race National B" at £36.

See the form "2008 Competition Licence Application Form (Postal)" here

Whilst I wouldn't skimp on a helmet, for overalls, its possible to pick up a bargain on EBAY. I've bought and sold a few FIA standard suits on over the last two or three years, and not payed more than £90 for any of them. I'd say "buy a good Nomex suit cheap" (if its not for you, you'll get the bulk of your money back), rather than buying a cheap proban suit.

Re the head height

Not sure if you have tillets or S type seats.

With tillet, either the spacer trick or , take it out and make up a cheap foam seat, I think the chemicals cost about £25 . If you weld /braze the seat nuts on I believe it makes it a lot easier to swap the seat around ( so Mr Price once told me).

If S type seats you could simply take out the squab and make a small foam base, much easier

Curborough would be a good starter but we are all (well most of us) at Loton in Shropshire at the end of this month, just come along and have a chat/ prod. Alternatively there are likely to be one or two sprinters at most area meetings to chat to ( not sure where you are geographically).

Hope to see you at an event.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Matt

Take a look at the following which should give you most of the information you require:

Motorsport on a budget

What you need to know

and

Preparing for competition

I should point out that if you enter a sprint this year you will not be eligible for the novices championship next season. I therefore suggest you get along to the club sprint at Curborough in August and if you get there earlier enough I will take you through signing on, scruitineering and general preparation *thumbup*.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Thanks Mark, I'd had a look at those articles from the FAQ stickie *thumbup*

I'm not looking to enter the championship properly, just thought it might be different to just blats and track days.

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Matt

You only have to do 5 rounds to qualify for the novices championship so take this into account when you do your first event. However, you are free to do as many or as few events as you wish but be warned it is very addictive 😬.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*