Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road Tyres: 21Rs or 32Rs or CR500????? Help Please

Snapper

At the moment I have got Yoko 32r's on the car For road use and they are great (except in the wet) the only problem is that they have come to the end of there life after 3000 miles....

I have had Yoko 21R's in the past and thought that they was quite good, and the Last longer..

Caterham swear by the Avon CR500 tyres. They are more expensive that the Yokos, But are they any good?? Are they that much better to warrent spending the extra money and how many road miles should I get out of a set???

Advice Please...........

Well, I'm probably an extreme example but I've just sold a set of almost new 21s because I hated them. I even think that my ACB10s grip better in the wet (except in standing water situations), and are more predictable at the limit... but as I said, I'm probably an extreme example as I've only ever driven my current SLR on ACB10s.

On other cars I've tried the full gamut and reckon that 32s represent the best bet unless you regularly drive in standing water. Despite what many claim, I can show you that in even wet conditions ACB10s and 32s offer higher levels of grip because of their softer compounds. You only need an empty-but-wet Tescos car park (night time) and an AC22 to prove this.

I'm about to try a set of CR500s so I'll venture a report in the next week or two.

I'm not saying 21s are bad, but their limits were lower than I was expecting. If you go for the 70 profile ones though, they are particularly cheap. George Polley will do them for about 35 quid a corner.

All tyres need to be warmed up a bit before they give their best.

Have both 32's and 21's on rims for road use.

The 32's would be better on the track but for tootling on roads I favour the 021's. They feel more like a road tyre in steering balance and are more progressive when cold / better in the wet.

I'm running 13" 032r (S) compounds all-round (6" front, 7" rears) - good but I expect they won't get through an MOT in July on the fronts now.

Does anyone know either of 2 things re. the Avon CR500s:

i) do they do a 6" and 7" width version suitable with my wheels?

ii) does anyone know a cheaper source for them - there must be a cheap/direct mail order supplier somewhere?

speaking of price - where can I get the best deal on a pair of Yoko 032r's these days? in case I decide to change the just the fronts for new

other Qs

- has anyone tried mixing and matching Avon fronts with Yoko rears?

- should I be running my 032r's at lower pressure than say 18psi all round on a 470 kilo 7?

thanks

i'd give a big vote for yoko 32s. they're cheap, sticky and progressive. OK - not *quite * as progressive as a 21 but they are truly exceptionally progressive. As V7 SLR says - unless there is standing water - ie actual puddles - the softer rubber will grip best. so don't drive like a loon when its that wet and they ARE fine. I've done it a number of times.

FWIW the best time I've had on a track (apart from at cadwell) was at a wet Croix en Ternois on bald 32s (less than 1 mm tread all round). I could tell exactly what they were doing at all times and had HUGE fun :)))

oh yeah - buy them from georg polley: www.polleymotorsport.co.uk. faultless service EVERY time i've used them

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

I use 1a tyres on the road which are more than adequate for me although I don't drive that hard on the roads.

CR500's are a good all round tyre but definitely way too expensive. For that money, I'd always prefer ACB10's. Anything less than standing water and they're better than CR500's. I've twice posted fastest times in the wet on ACB10's.

For all round ability, I think the 021 is hard to beat. If durability is less of an issue and if you don't drive in the pouring rain, 032's are good. They'll get you home safely in the rain as long as you treat them gently.

My 1a tyres (Yoko 520's) are over 10,000 miles old and look hardly worn!! and only 45 quid a corner. They are crap though!! I also have a set of S-03's and these seem much better and have been more than adequate for road use.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 6 Jun 2002 05:29:25