Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which class for club sprint?

Tim Sture

I think I already (unfortunately) know the answer to this question but it would be helpful if someone could confirm it.

I am buying Simons Scott's car which is a 1600 superlight with throttle bodies and Yoko 32's. Does that shove me into class 5? I think it probably does (I'll have to start my excuses early for my likely slow times in that class) but would be grateful if someone could confirm.

Thanks

Coming soon to a garage near me - a Superlight called N111 AOW

Thanks for the welcome - with AO32s, 140 bhp and about one week's experience in the car before MIRA, I think I might be a bit slow!

Thought I'd better get the excuses started early smile.gif

Tim - it will be intersting to compare against class 3 superlights (original plenum rather than tb's) on 32's with yours.

i will be there as a novice (metalic orange superlight) as it is my first pukka competition outing

is it really only a week away, yeeessshh better get preparing!

rob

140bhp with throttle bodies, the upgrade seems hardly seems worthwhile, plus having to run in class 5.

I thought the earlier 1.6 Supersports engines where quoted as 140bhp with standard injection.

TonyR

Hmmm - there was some discussion in the pub tonight (;Lancs area meeting) as to whether the 140 was at the flywheel or the rear wheels. Only a small difference there... smile.gif

Rob - I'm not sure you'll learn anything from comparing with me - although I did a few sprints with the old car (Academy Vx) so I have some competition experience, I have zero experience with more than 100 bhp, more than 6 speeds in the gearbox, or tyres more grippy than not very grippy things. I might feel more comfortable at Curborough as I have competed there before - will have to see if I can get in there too!

Unfortunately cannot do Llandow owing to prior commitments.

They do indeed Simon - the Lotus 7 club has different rules from local sprints/hillclimbs. My old car suited the L7 club rules better whereas it works the other way around with your/my new car.

Simon - to clarify the position (and maybe provide me with an excuse) is the 140 at the wheels or estimated at the flywheel?

Tim/Simon...are you sure it's the T/Bs that put car in class 5?..I thought it must have been because it was running list 1B's. As Simon has said the 7 sprint class structure is different to the normal club sprints. If you keep a windsreen on then I would always run list 1A's and run in class 4 if they're compulsary???. Good thing about 7 sprint classes is that they differentiate between slicks and list 1B's....general RAC sprints don't........which would stuff me from having a competitive outing on its standard tyres (CR 5OO'S).

Kenny SLR

Edited by - kenny on 6 Jun 2002 16:12:23

Kenny - i am no expert in the classes so do not take my word as gospel...

Alex said

"Standard 1600 SL on 032's is class 3. If it's throttle body injected, it would be in class 5. If on slicks = class 6"

in this thread

here

rob

I've just extracted the following from the sprinting regs on the L7 club home page:

Class 2:

Lotus or Caterham Sevens powered by single cam engines of 1601c.c.and greater. Also all Lotus Twin Cam engines and Rover K 1400c.c. engines. Other twin Cam engines up to 1600c.c. are also allowed in this class provided induction is via a standard production plenum chamber.

Tyres to be List 1A only.

Vehicles powered by non car derived engines are not allowed in this class.

Class 3:

Lotus or Caterham Sevens powered by single cam engines. Also all Lotus Twin Cam engines and Rover K 1400c.c. engines. Other twin Cam engines up to 1600c.c. are also allowed in this class provided induction is via a standard production plenum chamber.

Tyres to be any road legal E-marked tyre or in List 1B.

Vehicles powered by non car derived engines are not allowed in this class.

Class 4:

Any Lotus or Caterham 7 not meeting the engine requirements of classes 1, 2 or 3

Tyres to be List 1A only.

Class 5:

Any Lotus or Caterham 7 not meeting the engine requirements of classes 1, 2 or 3.

Tyres to be any road legal E-marked tyre or in List 1B.

So - as far as I can make out:

Class 2 = a superlight with list 1A tyres and no throttle bodies Class 3 = a superlight with list 1B tyres and no throttle bodies Class 4 = a superlight with list 1A tyres plus throttle bodies Class 5 = list 1 B plus throttle bodies

So next year when I run with list 1A tyres (after the 32s are worn out) I'll be in class 4. Kenny - I hope that answers your question - I want to have list 1A but cannot justify buying them until the 32s are worn out, so I'm a bit stuck for now.sad.gif Ho hum

Edited by - Tim Sture on 6 Jun 2002 16:47:00