Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repainting my chassis - photos available

Nick Woods

I spent all of Saturday and half of Sunday removing all the flaky powdercoat from the front half of my chassis and repainting it with Smooth Hammerite. Fortunately all I found was surface rust and not too much of it either.

If anyone is interested there are some photos at http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/nick_woods_98 . I've split the 'chassispaint' album up into 'before' , 'during' and 'after' because there are several photos and you may not want to see all of them. When I get more time I'll do a proper website but a yahoo photo album will be good enough for now.

Apart from my pressure washer going up in a cloud of blue smoke sad.gif the job went pretty well, there was more loose powdercoat than I realised and it took longer than I expected but isnt it always like that ? As you will see from the photos, just about all the tubes at the bottom of the chassis had to be re-done, and it looks like the tubes under the transmission tunnel are in no better condition.

A handy tip I found is that Nitromors paint and varnish remover will remove powdercoat very quickly, which is handy for the odd bits which are stubbornly sticking on even when the rest of it has fallen away - I wanted to remove these in case the Hammerite didnt stick properly.

The next job is to take off the drivers inner panel and see if I can get at the inside tubes that are causing outer skin to bubble, but having spent 2-and-a-half days out of the last 4 working on it I think my Caterham credit with my wife is just about used up !

Nick

P8MRA - The greenid=green> one with redid=red> wings

Edited by - Nick Woods on 4 Jun 2002 23:00:36