Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Widetrack query

julians

If you change from narrow track to wide track wishbones do you need new dampers and springs, or is it only the springs that need to be replaced.

Also on the caterham online parts store , they list different widetrack kits depending on whether you have big brakes or standard brakes. Anyone know why?

You don't need new dampers or springs just the extender bit that goes on top. Same for track rod ends, there are extender bits that screw on.

Don't know about the big brakes or not question.

The only upgrade car I have seen / worked on has the Alcon front brake upgrade fitted.

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

You can keep your old springs although the increased inclination of the spring/dampner assembly means the effective spring rate is reduced. I think the reduction is in the order of 8-10%.

The big brakes use different hose ends at the calipers than the standard brakes.

If you run the car fairly low then standard dampers on narrow track cars will run virtually on the bump stops.

As previously posted when you go wide track Caterham supply extenders to restore dampers to their original position. If you use standard dampers on wide track without the extenders then you restore the damper to a more sensible position in it's operating range and get more bump before hitting the bump stop.

You do need to change the springs though. I trashed a sump pan on the first test drive after fitting wide track because the 10% softening in spring rate at the wheel gave a lot more droop over bumps. And I still had the cut down bump stops fitted due to the above...... With the full bump stops fitted and 10% stiffer springs it's all nice again.

On the brakes, the wide track kit has longer brake pipes included (for obvious reasons...) and as posted the caliper ends are different so there are two different pipes depending on which brakes are fitted.

Deeps - Sorry but I can't really comment on what you need. I don't know your car, engine, anti roll bar spec, driving style etc etc.

But if for example you used to have narrow track and were quite happy with 150 lb/in with this spec then with the widetrack 168 lb/in (ie 150 + 12%) will give you the same spring rate at the wheel. Probably not helpful I know.

But just to try and help 150 lb/in does seem a bit soft. I run 350 lb/in on my Vauxhall. If it's a K or a crossflow then probably need less than this but still something around 250 lb/in from memory of discussions here in the past. Why not try a new topic asking for suggestions rather than hanging it on the end of a post which is really about something different? Make sure you specify the stuff above (engine type, chassis type and age, roll bar thicknesses etc) as recomended spring rates will vary widely depending on the spec of your car and intended use.