Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cracking noise

randybugger

I've got a loud cracking/creaking noise coming from the passager side side skin? exhaust area when i go round a right bend or if the road gets bumpy

The exhaust doesn't make a noise when I wiggle it up and down

the passanger seat is secure

nothing looks broken

any ideas

Tony

You could try grabbing the horizontal radius arms in the rear wing and try and rattle them up and down - if they move at the de Dion end, it is the rod-end bearings. If so, let me know - have a sensibly-priced source. Maybe the rattle is being transmitted through the body ? Sounds have a habit of appearing to be miles from the actual source in a Seven !

... or it could be the broken ribs 😳

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 2 Jul 2008 11:47:48

I had a clunk coming from my car..only seemed to do it reversing out of the garage and off the drive(where there was a lot of differential movement between the right and left suspension positions)...traced it to the front anti roll bar, the threaded rod that held the ball onto the end of it had come loose and wound itself into the bar so that the ball was loose.

Replaced the threaded rod (actually looked like the head had been cut off a short bolt) with something a little longer and threadlocked it in place..sorted!

My car does this and was traced to the scuttle rubbing against the top of the dash tube. If you skirt some WD 40 in the area where the scuttle and dash curve it should stop creaking. You could also slacken off the two nuts that hold the scuttle down or fit a full roll cage this stops the chassis flexing 😬

I jacked the car up and grabbed and wiggled everything I could see

had a good look at the di-dion tube

put a couple of new rivets in the floor but couldn't find anything

will try wd40 tonight but I'm sure my scuttle if glued down

thanks for suggestions so far

Tony

• Area Representative

I've had this cracking noise a couple of times and it drove me round the bend. Mine appeared to be coming from the transmission tunnel under the dash, but to be honest it seemed everywhere. Finally tracked it down to a small stone(s) stuck under edge of bonnet on top of scuttle. I'd had the bonnet off a few times and put it back on and noise was still there. Stones were stuck to the foam. Amazing how such a small thing sounded so bad. It seemed like chassis had a crack as it made a noise everytime chassis "flexed". Well worth looking for small stones stuck somewhere. Could be in the same place, but in your case possibly between chassis rail and skin??

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Tony,

As Paul says it is amazing how a tiny noise is magnified and how the actual source is not where the sound appears to be coming from.

If it appears from back then you might have a stone or debris stuck up the "turret" where the rear spring goes. As spring compresses it might contact the body inside the turret. I had a noise that totally ruined the car, a "ting" over every bump. Turned out to be that as the rear spring compressed the coil moved slightly outwards and contacted the inside of the spring turret. A slight blow with a hammer enlarged the turret and all was well.

Hugh Robinson.