Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Rod End?

buroz

Cheers for you replies. I thought that they were from Spitfire/herald/etc, but just wanted to check.

Edmandsd, cheers for the offer, but my parents sell them, so they don't cost me too much anyway.

Does it not depend on whether you are talking live axle or de-dion as the tapers for the uprights are different. I believe the live axle variant is from the Triumph stable, but the De-dion is a custom job to Caterham. Look in the archives for further details...

Or am I getting totally confused?

Cheers

Graham

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 6 Jun 2002 11:52:21

Sorry Graham... the Caterham parts CD lists the same part number for both cars. However, there is a different upper wishbone end for DeDion cars and live axle cars converted to use the DeDion upper wishbones because of a difference in the taper between the DeDion upright and the live axle trunnion. So I would offer, from this limited perspective, you're only partially confused. :*)

Been up this route several times. If you have Trunnions, the upright is from a Herald/Spit.

The track rod end with the correct taper, is from a Fiat 132, I have the motor factor part number at home.

The reason its a Fiat part and not a triumph part, is that the taper needs to fit the Triumph upright, but the thread for the rod end is metric.

If you do not have trunnions, the rod ends supplied by Caterham fit fine.

Don't know about the steering rods on the non trunnion uprights, but the trunnion ones, use a standard Triumph rod end. Whic also fits the newer racks.

Well got the part in which felix.klauser suggests and it fits correctly.

My car is a 99 Vx Live Axle, with the upgraded suspension (for future archive use... I couldn't find anything with my search).

Cheers for everybodys help. smile.gif

Casbar, I think you meant to say "wishbone end" rather than "The track rod end with the correct taper, is from a Fiat 132...". The track rod ends are identical; it is the wishbone ends that differ.

The wishbone end part number for a DeDion car with uprights is: QR1798

The wishbone end part number for a car with the DeDion upper wishbone and trunnions is: QR1118S.

Felix,

I've answered this query so many times, I'm now getting confused.

Yes, Top wishbone end has the different taper, the bottom track rod ends are the same on both uprights.

The terminology I used is actually correct though, both are track rod ends, the top one used on a Fiat, the bottom one used on a Herald/Spit. When you buy the end for the wishbone, you are still buying a track rod end.