Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Things I don't understand....

JDoc

....there being many.

I've owned my little 1.6K Supersport for about 5 months now, and I've noticed a few quirks and oddities which have not been explained through the normal channels in a appropriate way, so I thought I might ask here....

Firstly, shift between 2nd and 3rd while pushing the car produces an audible crunch, that implies bad syncro between the gears, and when off the loud pedal using the engine brake in 3rd, it sometimes throws itself out of gear, which can be alarming when going approaching a corner. With a Cat 6 speed, and only 9K miles, this really shouldn't be happening, but what is the best way to resolve this? Complete strip of the box, or should it be left and regarded as a 'feature' of the car?

Second, there's a togle switch of the same make as the indicator between the oil pressure gauge and the water temp gauge, that when I bought the car was explained to me by the knowelegable salesman that it determined which guage was 'on' at the time. Of course, this is completely wrong, as it seems to have no effect on th oil pressure guage at all. It does on the water temp - flipping the toggle gives me a good 15-20 degree difference in reading. What is this? The car has a cav-tank - am I seeing an oil temp reading and a water temp reading? Which is which?

Lastly, I have the same problems as some previous posters - running on after turning the engine off, and low oil pressure on hot idle - sometimes as low as just above redline.

Love the car, love thr drive, hate the paranoid tendencies it gives.

JDoc

Alas poor Kiroy, I knew him backwards.

Can't comment on the crunch in the gears, but the switch on the dash should switch between oil temp (to the right on mine) and water temp (to the left on mine). Oil temp is the same as water temp at moderate speeds, but if you push down on the loud peddle for long enough, the oil temp rises to hot enough to blanch chips (120C on mine).

Crunch between 2nd and 3rd is nearly always sourced by damaged or broken syncro-rings. I thought this is just a problem with Type 9 Ford boxes but I also heard that this might occur at older 6speed boxes from the 1st generation. At least you´re not paranoia, this is sefinitly not normal when 3rd gear kicks out itself. Sadly you won´t come around a strip of the box, it might need just some adjustment but I think it´s the rings. Sorry for the bad news.

ou can see whether the gauge is reading water or oil temp (that is what the switch is for) by seeing which warms up quickest from cold. Water starts to warm up after just a couple of minutes of ticking over, whereas oil takes at least 10 minutes to get close to working temp.