Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Can you damage an alternator by driving when its not charging?

Guy Lowe

Yesterday the wire came off of the charging indicator light and the engine ran for about 20 minutes (until the battery drained right down) without charging because excitation had not taken place due to the bulb being disconnected. When the wire was replaced the alternator began charging and all seems to be okay now, however my question is, could this have caused any harm to the alternator?

Probably a numpty question, but I am going to Le Mans next week and don’t want to take any chances.

Guy S B Lowe o *arrowup*o *smokin*

ZETEC Conversion here

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 30 Jun 2008 11:32:43

Guy, I've heard it can have a very strange side effect in that it sends a pulse to the starter motor which causes it to damage the starter pinion, to the point where a thousand or so miles later, the pinion falls off and buggers the clutch. Have you had wires falling off the alternator in the past by any chance? *wink* *tongue*

oohh...now you've had that problem it'll never get there Guy..in fact....the whole car is now worthless....

plus..apparently when the wire falls off, it magically charges the cockpit, with magic rays that reduce the size of the driver....

I would guess you must be down to dwarf proportions 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

😬 for the comdey replies.

I don't think the alternator will be upset but don't some batteries dislike being completely discharged.

It'll probably die as you're in the Peage queue with a dozen angry people behind you 😬 😬

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

EXCUSE ME This is a serious request for some technical advice, not for a free for all "lets have a POP at Guy" thread. 😬

Are there any electrickery minded people out there that can give me some SENSIBLE advice on this subject please?

ZETEC Conversion here

Edited by - Guy Lowe on 30 Jun 2008 13:52:29

hmm..... well, we're not used to serious threads with you Guy...

anyhow...been a while, must pop round and see you....you'll be having withdrawal symptoms to the 'man hug' stuff if I don't.....

And..i concur with Brent...shouldn't do any damage to the Alternator....

Dannyboy *tongue*

Edited by - Dannyboy on 30 Jun 2008 14:00:47

Guy,

From and Elec Engineer, and one who has yet to take a pop at you.... (I'll change this during the Classic Le-Mans trip if your upset 😬).... your alternatior will be fine (from not having a charge while driving for 20 minutes).

Suitably caviated as I don't know what abuse you've given it and I don't want you blaming me if your alternator does indeed pack up during our trip and I hear the imortal words, "but he said it would be fine".

😬

Most alternators only need the diode packs changing.

White road legal 2.0 HPC VX race car 😬

I DON'T BELIEVE IT *evil*

Ric- Yes I did see the helpful bit but then you went and spoiled it with the bit about the Peage 😬

Brent- Thank you, you may now continue having a POP

Danny- I believe I have the pleasure of your company in Spa later this year *rolleyes*

Andy- Thanks I am now reasured, by the way we have twins (boys) so I should be able to give you some advice *smile*

Dave- FUBAR.COM??? what the hell is that all about *eek*

ZETEC Conversion here

Oh dear....just me, you and trev.......lol.... 🤔

Will you be our beer/ gin bitch 🤔 we may then refrain from chasing you and wearing your little legs down even more 😬 😬

Anyhow.....hopefully you'll get to Le Mans ok mate...... 😬

Dannyboy *tongue*

Disconnecting the battery while it's running is a no no.

Reckon if it's charging fine with the wire back on then perhaps you are in the clear.

Get a spare to take with you just in case and then you can lend it some other poor chap whose alt. packs up 😬 😬 😬

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here