Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bilbo's new suspension first thoughts

Bilbo

Hi All

Well I think its about time I commented on the new suspension set up. (having typed it its a bit long)

Garry gave it a flat floor and I have the Camber angles set at 1.5 deg and the toe at just a touch positive.

Basically its great and is giving me hours of fun playing with the settings. So far have I settled with the front ARB at 70 % hard and the rear at a bit under 50%.

So using this as a datum I been playing with the damper settings.

Curborough

Well I started on 9 front 6 rear and this was too hard on the wet track. Also I had the ARB set wrong. As it had been fitted in a rush I managed to reverse the settings. Opps this was more related to which way the bar moves so it was not a % hard but a % soft. A quick chat with the ever helpful Graham Ford soon got my brain into gear!!

So just to realy confuse my self I corrected it and went for 6 and 4 to compensate for the correct ARB settings. Actually this proved to be quite good on the second practice and a wet track. So following this vain I changed to 4 and 2 on the first timed run but a spin at the end of the first straight soon spoiled my fun. Reasons for this well, at the time I thought I had locked the brakes and just retired. Last run stayed the same settings and just went for getting a time, soon fund out either I was covering the clutch or I had a problem the latter proved to be true. As to the suspension too soft in the dry.

Cadwell

For consistency I stayed with the last settings at Curborough for the first run. This was a bit short with the early offs but defiantly incorrect.

So I decided to go harder and after a couple of laps, adopted the tactic of some bends slow and others fast and reverse the tactic on the next lap. This way I though I could distinguish between my driving and the settings, seemed to work quite well.

So as to the settings

Well 4 front 2 rear on the 1st session far too soft

2nd session 6 and 4

3rd session 8 and 5

Last session 9 and 6 that made me very smooth past the paddock and into Halls bend the other corners we great as well. However the back stuck like glue through halls and I would have preferred a little rear end out on the sharp bends.

Garry keeps recommending softer settings so thats puzzling both of us. So may be I should have the ARB stiffer and the dampers soft, Still my cars not a Superlight neither an I !.gif and this is likely to effect the settings.

So I was never going for quick times preferring to play with the speeds and see what effect the suspension changes were having, also in the back of my mind was the thought if I got them wrong that would be the end of that session and a sad car.

What was surprising was the effect of the one extra click all round in the last session and how much smother and settled the car felt. It can get a bit confusing as the day progresses so do you. Thats why I tried to vary my speed through the bends so I could keep some comparison to the effect my changes were making. Then again this became confused as I was a little tired to say the least.

Still other than trying a stiffer setting this now leaves minor adjustments to the ARB's.

Still this is the settings for Cadwell and I think other venues could require a bit of trimming. My intention was to get a damper setting then just play with the ARB settings.

May be I am approaching this all wrong, so any comments would be appreciated. smile.gif Also just to add a bit of confusion the tuning was playing up this could be carb balance which I adjusted or fuel evaporation.

Seems a RR sessions in order. Currently the fuel goes to the front carb first and I going to reverse this, seems I have had this problem before on sunny track days. Then again it might be the external throttle return spring catching on the front carb as the throttle is depressed, had this problem the night before but seem to have fixed it.

So as I said great, I have a little problem with one of the rear shocker thats being sorted but otherwise I am happy.

As have said before I think the old Bilstein dampers had reached their sell by date plus the front springs were too soft and the rears to hard.

Also the ride hights a bit high, really set for the local speed bumps rather than the track.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY

Bill - could you let me know (private mail if you'd prefer) how much the whole setup cost, contact details for the people that did it etc?

I'm going to need 4 new shocks, springs and front/rear ARBs so i may as well do it properly...

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Hi Hoopy

Well as to the shockers they do Pace, Track and Race thats rubber, nylon and rose jointed ends. These are oil filled AVO dampers valved to their spec. They also want to keep the spring ratings to themselves at present. Me being a bit heavier than most mine springs are a bit stiffer.

Originally I was going to have the track ones, then I had to have the Race ones with rose joints and they made some bushes up for me. My car has the pre 1996 mounts thats 4 mm wider than mine. That's why they could not provide the other well at present.

Company Freestyle motorsport. Garry May 07946634021 or Len Unwin 01892540828 they are at Horton Kirby near Brand Hatch. I dont have the full address to hand but its a on a farm.

As to price best ask them as with the changes things altered a bit and I might quote the wrong price.

I went for the full package with adjustable front and rear ARD's

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY